The Australian and NSW governments have upgraded The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
The Minister for Urban Infrastructure and Cities, Paul Fletcher, the Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Melinda Pavey and the Member for Camden, Chris Patterson officially opened The Northern Road between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park, on Wednesday 4 April, 2018. We thank the community for their patience as we delivered this vital upgrade.
From May 2018, for a period of up to 32 weeks, the project team will be preparing and constructing noise walls on the eastern side of The Northern Road between Old Northern Road and 400 m north of Hillside Drive, Harrington Park.
For more details, view or download the April 2018 project update (PDF, 116Kb).
The Northern Road upgrade has delivered new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits of Western Sydney Airport. It has improved safety, increased road capacity and reduced congestion and travel times.
The upgrade was delivered in stages. This stage covers 3.3 kilometres between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park.
- Contractor: Georgiou
- Start date of major construction: February 2016
- Completion date: April 2018
- Project value (of all six sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
This stage of The Northern Road upgrade is 3.3 kilometres between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park. The Northern Road will be one of the main arterial transport corridors in Sydney’s South West Priority Growth Area. As residential and commercial development occurs, the amount of traffic in the area is expected to increase on The Northern Road. The Northern Road upgrade will also support Western Sydney Airport.. The Northern Road between Camden Valley Way and The Old Northern Road was upgraded in 2007.
There are four intersections along the route. Three of these intersections have traffic lights, to give access to existing and future residential and commercial precincts.
The key benefits of the project are:
- increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- improved safety for road users through:
- new intersections with traffic lights to access precincts
- a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- turning lanes at intersections
- improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians through an off-road shared path
- improved travel times and access to future precincts along The Northern Road
- improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.
The key features of the project include:
- widening The Northern Road to provide three lanes in each direction (two general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- an 80km/h speed limit
- a three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian and cyclist path
- designated turning lanes
- three intersection upgrades with traffic lights at Porrende Street, Hillside Drive and Cobbity Road
- two new bridges over Narellan Creek for northbound and southbound traffic
- bicycle and pedestrian crossings at traffic lights.
July 2018 project update
The Northern Road upgrade - now open from The Old Northern Road to Peter Brock Drive.
For further information about this project:
Phone: 1800 703 457 (toll free)
Mail: Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124.