On behalf of Transport for NSW, we are carrying out some urgent safety repairs to the heritage listed dry-stone retaining wall and guard rail barrier, including some road resurfacing on Old Northern Road, at the last bend before entering Wisemans Ferry.
The work will involve:
- site establishment including crane set up on the road
- the removal of materials and debris from the crash site
- rebuilding the heritage listed dry stone retaining wall
- replacing the guard rail barrier
- resurfacing the damaged road.
Please note we have revised the work schedule based on significant community feedback, with the full road closure now occurring predominantly during the weekdays, instead of the weekend. We would like to thank the local community for raising their concerns and for their patience whilst we readjusted our work schedules. We appreciate that this work will have significant impacts on residents and businesses no matter when it is carried out and hope we can complete it as quickly as possible before Christmas.
Our revised work schedule is as follows:
- from 7am to 5pm on Thursday 9 December and Friday 10 December – single lane closure
- from 9pm Sunday 12 December to 6am Wednesday 15 December – full road closure
- on Wednesday 15 December and Thursday 16 December from 6am to 9pm single lane closure, and from 9pm to 6am the following day, full road closure
- from 6am Friday 17 December to 9pm Sunday, 19 December – single lane closure
- from 9pm, Sunday 19 December to 6am Monday 20 December – full road closure
- on Monday 20 December and Tuesday 21 December – from 6am to 9pm single lane closure, and from 9pm to 6am the following day, full road closure.
During the single lane closures, access will be maintained in both directions under traffic management but depending on the day and time people are travelling through the area, there may be some short delays.
During the full road closures, local access will be maintained for residents and businesses located on Old Northern Road between Wisemans Ferry Road and River/Singleton Road on either side of the work area under traffic management. Only emergency services will be allowed to pass through the work area.
General access will be maintained to the area north of the work area however using the following alternate route. Please note this route may take approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of additional travel time so please plan accordingly.
- Old Northern Road at Maroota, to Castle Hill Road, Pennant Hills Road, M1 Pacific Motorway, Peats Ridge Road, George Downes Drive and Wisemans Ferry Road to access the northern side of the Hawkesbury River. Note that the vehicle ferry will be required to cross to the township of Wisemans Ferry.There are other local access routes in the area but these are not recommended due to the condition of the road not being suitable for high volumes of traffic or any heavy vehicles.
Please note this route may take approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of additional travel time so please plan accordingly. Heavy vehicles over 15 tonnes should be advised that there is no suitable detour option for them during the full road closures, due to the pre-existing road conditions. Those requiring deliveries should plan accordingly and reschedule deliveries outside of these times. Access for heavy vehicles will be possible during the single lane closures only.
There are other local access routes in the area, but these are not recommended due to the condition of the road not being suitable for high volumes of traffic or any heavy vehicles.
We will be sending out updated notifications and updating signage in the area in the coming days.
December 2021 project notification
Road closure on Old Northern Road, Wisemans Ferry and Maroota from Friday 10 December.