The Australian and NSW governments are jointly funding the $105 million Mulgoa Road, Penrith - from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade. The vital upgrade will connect road users to the Penrith CBD and ease congestion at these intersections.
AUG 2021Construction update
Construction to resume In line with the NSW Government announcement on Wednesday 28 July 2021, construction on the Mulgoa Road, Penrith upgrade commenced on Sunday 1 August 2021. Our work will be carried out in line with the latest health and safety requirements and with COVID safe practices to keep our workers and the community safe. Further information about construction resuming in Sydney is available on the Infrastructure NSW website.
JUN 2021Road opening
Opening of Mulgoa Road, Penrith from Union Road to Museum Drive from Saturday 26 June 2021.
View or download the June project update (PDF, 329Kb).
- Project value: $105 million
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
The Castlereagh Road and Jane Street, and Mulgoa Road and High Street intersections are vital to connect road users to the Penrith CBD, Blue Mountains and surrounding suburbs. These intersections currently experience congestion during morning and afternoon peak times.
As part of the NSW Government Plan for Growing Sydney, Penrith will continue to develop as a regional city centre and accommodate future residential and employment growth. Without improvement to cater for this growth, future traffic congestion at these intersections will worsen, resulting in further delays for road users.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith - from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would ease this congestion and provide increased capacity to cater for future transport growth.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith – from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would:
- reduce congestion and delays at the Castlereagh Road / Jane Street and High Street / Mulgoa Road / intersections during morning and afternoon peak times
- deliver infrastructure that provides effective network performance
- improve access to public transport
- provide safe and effective pedestrian and cycling infrastructure
- support economic growth
- allow for upgrades of other sections of Mulgoa Road in the future.
- An additional lane both north and south bound on Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road between Union Road and to the south of Museum Drive
- A longer left turn lane along Mulgoa Road for vehicles turning westbound onto High Street
- Upgrade of the Mulgoa Road and High Street intersection to provide increased capacity
- Upgrade of the T-intersection of Jane Street with Castlereagh Road to provide increased capacity
- Widening the existing rail underpass to allow three lanes in each direction on Castlereagh Road and left turn into Jane Street
- Bus priority at the High Street intersection.
There are still a few remaining work activities that need to be completed before this section of the upgrade is fully complete, including:
- road maintenance
- deliveries of equipment and materials
- demobilisation of site compound
- line marking
- minor defect work
- drainage work
- carpark reinstatement behind NDTA
- footpath work and landscaping
- road signs and fencing.
This work will be carried out between Saturday 26 June and Tuesday 31 August 2021, weather permitting. Our work hours are Monday to Friday between 7am and 6pm, Saturdays 7am to 5pm and some nights between 6pm and 5am.
During our general excavation work, we have found asbestos contaminated material (ACM) along the High Street, Mulgoa Road and Castlereagh Road corridors.
If ACM is found near properties, property owners are notified before any removal takes place.
Roads and Maritime Services works with SafeWork NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in accordance with the relevant environmental and health obligations, and legislative requirements.
Should you have any questions about the safe removal of ACM, you can visit the Environmental Protection Authority’s website at epa.nsw.gov.au or call 131 555.
View the Mulgoa Road, Penrith video animation from our video gallery page.
View or download the upgrade map.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 951 118