The NSW Government has committed over $30 million to deliver a number of projects along the 36 kilometre section of the Mitchell Highway between Dubbo and Narromine, providing safe and efficient travel for a variety of vehicle types.
The projects include:
- Additional overtaking lanes
- Widening of 11 kilometres of the highway east of Narromine
- Upgrades to the highway at Lagoon Creek and Minore Road
NOV 2020Overtaking lanes
The additional overtaking lanes on the Mitchell Highway between Dubbo and Narromine were announced by Dubbo MP Dugald Saunders in 2019.More information
Planning has commenced on the design and environmental studies for the overtaking lanes, and the site survey and assessment work has been completed.
Detailed design is progressing and we expect to announce the three overtaking lanes being built by the early 2021.
Part of the safety upgrades include addressing 13 curves along the highway.
Packaging the three projects along the Mitchell Highway allows for greater efficiencies in development and delivery of this important work saving time and money.
The overtaking lanes are essential to the community, with a large number of residents commuting to work daily between Narromine and Dubbo.
The Mitchell Highway forms part of the Sydney to Western NSW corridor. It is an important route for freight and livestock transporters, local commuters, tourism operators, caravanners and holiday makers.
A large number of people commute daily between Narromine and Dubbo for employment and recreational activities. Heavy vehicles also make up to about 12 per cent of the daily traffic.
The project objectives include:
- Reducing travel times
- Improving safety
- Increasing overtaking opportunities
Key features of the Mitchell Highway overtaking lanes include:
- Construction of three overtaking lanes
- Each overtaking lane will be 1.5 kilometres in length
- Addition of a 1m wide centre line and Audio Tactile Line marking at project locations
- Improved pavement life and drainage along the project locations
- Integration with other planned work to improve shoulder width and the road surface along extended lengths of the Mitchell Highway corridor
- Upgrades to private property accesses and intersections.
View or download
For more information please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 167 499