The Australian and NSW governments are investing in the upgrade and development of the section of the Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) known as Hexham Straight between Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge.
The Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) is a critical link from the Port of Newcastle to the National Land Transport Network and is among the busiest transport corridors carrying some of the highest traffic volumes in the Hunter.
The proposed six kilometre-long project would improve traffic flow along this critical route, deliver more reliable travel times for freight, and increase safety for all road users, including cyclists and pedestrians.
The proposed scope of the Hexham Straight project involves the addition of an extra lane in both directions, removal of the existing bridges and construction of two new bridges at Ironbark Creek, adjustments to connecting roads as well as significant utility relocation.
Timing for construction is not confirmed and is dependent on a range of factors including planning approval.
The proposed improvements at Hexham include:
- Upgrades to the six kilometre section of the Pacific Highway between the Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge.
- Widening of the dual carriageway from two lanes to three lanes in each direction
- Demolition of the existing Ironbark bridge and construction of two new bridges at Ironbark Creek
- Minor intersection upgrades and property adjustments
- Utility relocation.
Key benefits of the proposal include:
- Improved connection between Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) known as Hexham Straight between Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge
- Improved traffic flow for motorists and freight for more reliable travel times
- Improved accessibility to the surrounding road network
- Improved safety for all road users.
We will continue developing the concept design and environmental assessment, considering the community feedback received.
We plan to display the environmental assessment for community feedback later this year and will continue to keep the community informed as the project progresses.
During this time we will continue to consult with property owners, residents and other impacted stakeholders.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 515 141 (during business hours)
Mail: Hexham Straight Project Manager, Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300