The NSW Government is planning to upgrade Henry Lawson Drive to reduce congestion and improve safety and connectivity.
Updates and announcements
SEP 2021Have Your Say on environmental assessments closed
The community consultation on the environmental assessments on Stage 1A of the Henry Lawson Drive upgrade closed on Friday 17 September. We are now preparing a report that will summarise and respond to the community feedback on the review of environmental factors (REF). Our report will also respond to community feedback made to Canterbury Bankstown Council that relates to the REF Proposal. Thank you to everyone who took the time to review the REF and send their feedback. We expect the report to be available before the end of 2021.
JUN 2021Henry Lawson Drive upgrade Stage 1B
In the June 2021 Budget, the NSW Government announced a further $22.5 million in funding to develop the concept design, REF and detailed design for Stage 1B of the upgrade, which will see the number of lanes on Henry Lawson Drive doubled between Keys Parade and the M5 South Western Motorway.
Public consultation on Stage 1B will begin in 2022.
In February 2020, Transport for NSW called for public comment on Stage 1A of a plan to upgrade the 7.5 kilometre length of Henry Lawson Drive between the M5 South Western Motorway, Milperra, and Hume Highway, Lansdowne.
There were almost 80 submissions from the public and their comments, along with Transport for NSW responses, were published in the July 2020 consultation report.
The upgrade would help ensure the road corridor can meet growing demand, with residential, commercial and industrial development expected to increase in the coming years.
The upgrade would be carried out in stages, with the first stage spanning from Keys Parade to just north of Tower Road.
Stage 1A would provide more capacity for vehicles travelling through the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra Road and Newbridge Road. It would improve efficiency along the corridor and safety for motorists and pedestrians.
A separate project will upgrade Henry Lawson Drive between Beale Street and south of Rabaul Road in Georges Hall. Visit the Henry Lawson Drive, Georges Hall page to find out more
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade stage 1A
The proposal would involve:
- provide two lanes in each direction on Henry Lawson Drive between Keys Parade and Tower Road
- upgrade the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra Road and Newbridge Road to provide:
- an additional southbound lane
- Longer dual right turns for motorists turning right from Milperra Road into Henry Lawson Drive
- an upgraded left turn for motorists turning left from Newbridge Road into Henry Lawson Drive
- longer dual right turn lanes for motorists turning right from Henry Lawson Drive into Newbridge Road
- upgrading the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive and Tower Road including providing a dual right turn from Henry Lawson Drive into Tower Road
- a second bridge over the creek just south of Auld Avenue for two northbound lanes.
August 2021 Have your say notification
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade Stage 1A environmental assessments on public display
August 2021 Review of Environmental Factors - main report
View or download the Henry Lawson Drive upgrade Stage 1A Review of Environmental Factors
July 2020 Consultation report
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade - Stage 1A.
February 2020 Have your say notification
Early concept design for Stage 1A of the proposed Henry Lawson Drive upgrade
For more information on our Henry Lawson Drive projects, or if you wish to receive email updates, please contact the Henry Lawson Drive project team:
Phone: 1800 951 218