The Australian and NSW Governments are upgrading the intersection at Blaxland and Balaclava roads as part of its $1 billion Urban Congestion Fund.
This Transport for NSW upgrade will reduce congestion and deliver safer and more reliable journeys for those travelling on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
SEP 2021Have your say
Transport for NSW is seeking feedback from the community on our amended proposal to improve the Blaxland Road and Balaclava Road intersection at Eastwood.
Our proposal will increase the capacity of the intersection by widening Balaclava Road and installing a second right turn lane to reduce queue lengths and improve safety for all road users.
Phone the project team 1800 572 113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your feedback.
Consultation closes on Friday 15 October 2021.
We are adjusting traffic lights for road users turning right from Blaxland Road into Balaclava Road, to allow more time for vehicles to travel through the intersection.
We’re also widening Balaclava Road for the proposed second right turn lane into Blaxland Road.
These changes will increase the capacity of the intersection and improve safety for more than 35,000 motorists and pedestrians who use this intersection each weekday.
We’ll make it easier for pedestrians and bike riders to access the existing active transport link that also connects to the proposed new fenced dog park at Moore Park, plus we will widen the existing shared path and extend footpaths for easy travel around the intersection.
Community consultation was carried out in August and September 2017 on a previous design and a submissions report (PDF, 2Mb) summarising comments and responses was published in January 2018.
We listened, and in response to your feedback we revised the proposal and now we are doing the following improvements.
Blaxland and Balaclava Road
- Widening Balaclava Road for a second right turn lane from Balaclava Road into Blaxland Road.
- Adjusting the traffic light for vehicles turning right from Blaxland Road onto Balaclava Road.
- Extending the kerb and footpath on the northbound side on Blaxland Road to stop vehicle access into Ball Avenue from the intersection.
- Introducing a new No Parking area between 6am and 10am and between 3pm and 7pm weekdays along the westbound side of Balaclava Road.
Pedestrian and Bike Users
- Widening the existing shared path at the north-eastern corner and the space for pedestrian and bike users at the south-eastern corner of the intersection
- Extending the footpath on the northbound side of Blaxland Road.
- Relocating the existing pedestrian and bicycle crossing to the southern approach of Blaxland Road
- Relocating the existing bus shelter and installing new tactile indicators
Creating a public space for the local community
- A new fenced dog park at Moore Park
Blaxland Road and Balaclava Road Intersection Improvements
- Improved road safety for all road users.
- Reduced traffic light queueing.
- Better traffic flow north and south, will reduce travel time for road users.
- Improved pedestrian and bike rider safety.
We invite your feedback on the proposal, including your ideas for the fenced dog park, to help make this a better place to walk, ride and travel around. Consultation closes on Friday 15 October 2021.
You can also provide your comments by contacting our Project Team.
After the consultation closes, we will carefully consider all feedback received before making a decision on the proposal. We will share with the community what we have learnt from this consultation and will keep the community informed as the proposal progresses.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 572 113