Port Macquarie Breakwall Upgrade
The NSW Government is delivering major improvements to maritime infrastructure and facilities statewide, to help the boating and wider community safely access, use and navigate our inland and coastal waters.
JUN 2022Have your say
We are seeking your feedback on the Port Macquarie Southern Breakwall Upgrade Environmental Assessment and refined concept design until Friday 15 July 2022.More information
To submit your feedback you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or phone 1800 571 311
Or post to Port Macquarie Breakwall upgrade
Transport for NSW, Maritime Branch
Rozelle NSW 2039
You can also come and meet the project team, ask questions or provide your feedback at the following locations.
- Friday 10 June at the ArtWalk Markets between 5pm and 9pm
- Saturday 11 June at the Foreshore Markets between 8am and 1pm
- Tuesday 21 June at Town Beach Park between 9am and 1pm
To view, the refined concept design download the June 2022 project update (PDF, 3.56Mb) for all the project details.
The Port Macquarie breakwalls were installed to provide a safe navigable boat entrance and maintain the current river mouth entrance.
The Port Macquarie breakwall was built over a period of 40 years with completion in 1939. The last major maintenance was carried out on the head of the breakwall to repair damage caused by the 2015 major weather event.
As part of the project early investigations, including underwater assessments and scans shows the southern breakwall is in need of major repairs. The rock has settled and shifted over time, creating voids which compromise the effectiveness and stability of the structure.
A $205 million stimulus funding program was announced in November 2020 to invest in maritime infrastructure and safety upgrade projects across the state.
The southern breakwall at Port Macquarie needs maintenance to extend this critical maritime infrastructure's life.
The NSW Government is funding a proposal to upgrade the southern breakwall at Port Macquarie. We have developed a refined concept design which includes:
- rebuilding 600 metres of the breakwall along the river section
- completing maintenance of the breakwall head with minimal change to the footprint
- installing a new five-metre-wide footpath along the majority of the structure’s length. This excludes the last 30 metres at the head of the breakwall, where the current footprint and width will stay the same
- installing a new access ramp at the seaward end of the caravan park
- installing new lighting on the shared pedestrian and cycleway path along the breakwall.
To view the refined concept design view the June 2020 community update.
An environmental Assessment (EA) has also been completed.
We are now seeking your feedback on the refined concept design and Environmental Assessment (EA)
You can view the EA at the following locations:
- Port Macquarie Library
- Port Macquarie Hastings Council Office
- view and download from the website
- contact us to send you a soft of hard copy.
Feedback received on the proposal and refined concept design will be considered as part of the project approval and in the detailed design for the project.
Timing of the construction is expected to be in the first half of 2023. The community will be kept informed on the progress and delivery of the project.
For more information contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 571 311