Toll notices

You will be issued a toll notice if you do not have an electronic tag or pass and you travel through a toll point.

Motorists are required by law to pay the toll and any associated administration charges when they drive on a toll road.

If you travel on a toll road without an electronic tag or pass, you have 3 days to make arrangements with the toll road provider. If you do not, the toll recovery process will start, and the toll road operator will issue a toll notice.

Paying a toll notice

If you receive a toll notice, you can either:

  1. Use an electronic account to pay: contact the toll road operator and transfer the notice to your account, and pay the toll plus a $1.10 transfer fee.
  2. Pay another way: contact the toll road operator and pay the toll plus a $10 administration fee.

Contact the relevant toll road operator to pay or transfer a toll notice:

How to reduce administration fees

By paying for your tolls when you travel, you will not be issued a toll notice and not have to pay any toll notice administration fees:

  • Open an electronic tag account:
    • Correctly install your electronic tag to your windscreen.
    • Keep your personal and banking details up to date.
    • Add your vehicle’s number plate to your tag account (note: reduced matching fees may apply).
    • Check with your provider every 5 years if your tag needs replacing.

  • Get a temporary pass within 3 days of your first travel:
    • Check the start and end dates of the pass. The start date should be when you first travelled on a motorway without paying the toll.
    • Check the vehicle’s plate number is correctly listed.
    • Check if the State of Registration is correct for the plate you entered.

Nominate a different driver

If you were not the driver of the vehicle, you can give the toll notice to the person who was driving at the time, and ask them to pay it.

If they don’t pay, a second toll notice may be issued, and you can formally nominate them by completing a Statutory Declaration:

Statutory declarations must be submitted in writing, and you also need to include a copy of the toll notice.

Make sure you mail the declaration at least 7 days before the toll notice is due, to:

Toll Compliance Management
Locked Bag 5004
Parramatta NSW 2124

You will need a separate declaration for each toll notice. Do not include payment – a new toll notice will be issued to the person you nominate.  

Declarations can only be accepted for trips that are less than 60 days old.

You should also be aware that your name and address may be given to the person or company that you nominate.

IMPORTANT: If you’ve sold the vehicle, make sure you complete a transfer of registration to the new owner.

Lodge an objection

If you believe the toll notice has been issued in error, you can lodge an objection by writing to the motorway operator.

The objection must:

  1. Include a copy of the front of the toll notice or relevant details from the notice.
  2. Include all relevant details: toll notice number on payment slip, registration number of the vehicle and state of registration, time, date, toll point, lane and direction of travel when the liability to pay the toll is alleged to have incurred.
  3. Set out the grounds of the objection.
  4. Be signed by the person lodging the objection.

Mail the objection and all supporting documents to the relevant toll road operator.


Lane Cove Tunnel
Military Road E-Ramp
Eastern Distributor
Cross City Tunnel
The Hills M2
WestConnex M4, M8 and M5 East
Westlink M7
M5 South West Motorway

Send to:

Locked Bag 5072,
Parramatta NSW 2124


Sydney Harbour Bridge/Tunnel

Sent to:

Locked Bag 5070,
Parramatta NSW 2124

Toll recovery process

This information is provided for your information, to help you understand the toll recovery process.

Toll notice issued

When a vehicle is detected travelling through a tolling point, but no electronic payment is received with 3 days, a toll notice will be issued to the registered operator of the vehicle.

Final toll notice issued

If no action is taken in response to the first toll notice, a final toll notice may be sent to the registered operator of the vehicle. This will request payment of the toll and an administration fee (typically $20) to recover the cost of collecting the toll in this manner.

Penalty notice issued

A penalty notice may be sent to the registered operator of the vehicle if the toll is not paid in the time and manner permitted by the motorway. The fine for non-payment of a toll exceeds $180.

For more information about penalty notices, see Revenue NSW.

Overdue fine issued

If the penalty notice is not settled in the time and manner specified, and overdue fine may be issued by Revenue NSW. If this is not paid, Revenue NSW may instruct Roads and Maritime Services to suspend or cancel your licence or registration. For more information on overdue fines, see Revenue NSW.

Civil debt recovery

Motorway operators may refer outstanding tolls and administration fees to a debt collection agency. Additional fees may be payable when this occurs,

Legal action can also be taken as part of the civil debt recovery process. Be aware that legal costs incurred by the motorway operator can be ordered against you if they are required to pursue the debt using this method. 

Share this page: