Frequently asked questions

General tolling

  • Tolled motorways are owned by private companies who charge a toll to recover the cost to build and maintain the motorway. If you travel on these roads you are require to pay a toll. However, a variety of alternative toll free routes are available for those who do not find value in paying the toll.
  • Toll notices are sent when you the toll can't be drawn from your account, or if no tag is detected in the vehicle. If your credit card expires, you need to provide the new expiry date to your tag provider, otherwise they cannot draw funds to keep your account in credit. You might also wish to add your licence plate number to the account so it can be automatically matched if there is an error reading your tag.
  • An electronic tag is designed to be placed under the interior rear view mirror of your vehicle. Electronic tags are designed to cope with temperatures ranging from minus 40 degrees to 100 degrees Celsius and last about five years under normal operating conditions. Unlike other devices, electronic tags are not affected by radios or mobile telephones. As you travel through a toll point, your electronic tag should emit an audible tone at about 55db. If you notice that your tag needs replacing, contact your electronic tag provider.
  • A tag is an electronic device that you purchase from a tag provider and attach to the inside of your vehicle's windscreen. All tags work on all motorways in Australia. Different tag products are available from each of the motorway operators, all with different setup and running costs. When you travel through a toll point, sensors detect the tag and the toll is automatically charged to your toll account. There are no additional costs for using most tag products.

    A pass is an arrangement between you and a motorway to use that motorway for an agreed period of time. You provide your number plate details to the motorway operator and they will charge the toll and any applicable setup and administration fees to your credit card or bank account. Visit the Tags and Passes page for contact details of tolling providers.
  • Toll codes appear on tag and pass statements and are used to identify the location of the toll gantry. Download a list of all the toll gantry codes (PDF, 20Kb).
  • The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is charged on all tolls in NSW.
  • Yes. Motorcyclists are required to pay the same toll as a car due to the similar length of roadspace occupied by the two types of vehicles.

    Motorcyclists can take advantage of reduced tolls for the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel by purchasing a quarterly E-Toll product.
  • You can nominate another person by completing a statutory declaration.
  • You can lodge an objection to the motorway operator.
  • If you receive a toll notice, you will be asked to pay either an administration fee (typically $10.00 or $20.00) or a toll notice fee (typically $1.10). If you don't have a valid electronic tag, then you will have to pay the toll notice administration fee. These fees are charged to recover the real costs associated with reviewing the violation image, processing the licence plate number, printing and posting the toll notice and processing payments. However this fee is reduced if you pay using a valid electronic tag account.
  • Private motorways are not obliged to provide motorists with a disability or pension a toll concession. However, some motorists may apply for a E-Toll tolling product to allow them free travel on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel.
  • Except for the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Harbour Tunnel which have single tolling, all toll roads in NSW have two classes, Class A and Class B. The higher Class B toll is paid by all vehicles that are taller than 2.8 metres, including car/caravan rigs of the same size as your motorhome. If you don’t want to pay the higher toll, there are a variety of toll free routes which remain available.

Electronic Tags

  • Tolling systems can sometimes detect electronic tags that are not directly mounted on the windscreen. If you are travelling around the network with your tag in your luggage or even sending an electronic tag by post to a friend or family, you may be charged the toll. To avoid being charged, you can use a Shielding Bag or aluminium foil which will prevent the tolling system from recognising the tag.
  • Most tag providers offer tag products with a tag security deposit. Once you pay the deposit, all you pay for is the tolls (providing your tag is used correctly). However some tag providers offer different tag products, for example, a monthly tag fee rather than an upfront security deposit. If you use a pass, you will be charged an additional video matching fee for each trip.
  • Yes, all Australian electronic tags work on all Australian toll roads. Your tag will beep as you drive past toll points and the toll will be charged to your account.
  • There are a range of electronic tag and pass products available through different providers. Each operator may apply different charges, deposits and top-up amounts. To find out more about the different products available, visit the Tags and Passes web page.
  • Yes, but it is safer to add your licence plate number to your tag account and pay for your tolls this way. All NSW tag providers waive video matching fees for motorcycle licence plates. For more information contact your toll provider.
  • In general, motorcyclists are charged the same rate as cars as the effectively occupy the same road capacity as passenger vehicles. Road capacity is determined by the length of the vehicle with a ‘three second gap’ rule that ensures adequate vehicle stopping distances.

    Some motorway operators choose to provide a discount, however they are not obliged to under the terms of the contract with the NSW Government. E-Toll provide an EZRider product which allows unlimited travel on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel for a set quarterly fee.
  • Some providers may charge you an inactive account keeping fee if you do not use your tag once within a set time period. Electronic tag providers charge this fee to recover costs associated with account administration and tag maintenance for non use. You can avoid these charges by choosing a product which best suits your needs and checking with your tag provider if they charge this fee.
  • Most electronic tag products are designed to be affixed under the rear view mirror of your vehicle. If you simply hold your electronic tag up to the windscreen at the toll point, chances are that your trip will not be recorded and you may attract a video matching fee. Check with your electronic tag provider for information about the holders available for your model of electronic tag.
  • If your tag doesn't work when you pass through a gantry, a photograph of your licence plate will be taken. If you have not set up your numberplate to your tag account, a toll notice will be sent to the registered operator. Your tag provider should be able to assist you setup your numberplate online or over the phone.

Electronic Passes

  • A pass product purchased in NSW can only be used on NSW tollroads. For more information please contact your pass provider.
  • Yes. Whether you’re visiting Sydney or another state, your electronic tag can be used to pay for travel on any toll road in Australia. Electronic tag interoperability makes it easier for you to travel from one state to another and manage your tolls using your normal electronic tag account. Visit Tags and Passes for more information about NSW electronic tag products and electronic tag providers.
  • Yes. The information you provide is only used for transferring your registration and is not shared with electronic tag providers. If you have not updated your number plate details with the tag provider and the new owner of your car fails to pay a toll, you may receive a toll notice for any unpaid trips.
  • Video matching fees recover the cost of manually matching licence plates against those recorded by an electronic tag issuer. For more information, check with your electronic tag or pass provider.

About toll roads

  • Yes, you can use a fully electronic motorway at any time, but you will need to arrange a pass either before or within 3 days of your trip. Road signs on the motorway will show the phone number and website details. You can also visit the Tags and Passes page to learn more.
  • The toll roads in Sydney are the M2, M5 (not including M5 East) and M7, the Lane Cove Tunnel, Military Road E-Ramps, Eastern Distributor, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel, the Cross City Tunnel and the WestConnex - new M4. Calculate your toll.


  • Cash back for travel on M5 South West is only available to holders of an electronic tag product who drive a privately registered vehicle. If you wish to make a claim, you will need to login to your tag account and complete an online form. You can also complete a paper form available from the Transport for NSW website. For more information about the M5 South West Cahsback scheme.

Further information

  • Electronic tag and pass providers offer more information about specific products they offer. For NSW electronic tag and pass providers visit E-way (tag only), Linkt, Roads and Maritime E-Toll.
Share this page: