The nine kilometre NorthConnex twin tunnel motorway is now open. NorthConnex directly links the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga to the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills.
The $3 billion project has been delivered by Transurban in partnership with the Australian and NSW Governments.
NorthConnex provides faster, safer, more reliable and more efficient journeys for road users. It also returns local roads to local communities, improves air quality along Pennant Hills Road and reduces congestion and noise.
We are only able to deliver some of the benefits of NorthConnex by removing some of the truck and bus traffic from Pennant Hills Road. To find out more visit the Pennant Hills Road regulation web page.
The NorthConnex Project Company has delivered NorthConnex for the NSW Government. It has engaged Lendlease Bouygues Joint Venture (LLBJV) to design and build NorthConnex.
- Start of major construction: June 2015
- Open to traffic: 31 October 2020
- Provide faster, safer, more reliable trips.
- By avoiding 21 sets of traffic lights, NorthConnex offers a straighter, flatter route for improved fuel efficiency, with reduced maintenance costs from stop/start wear and tear.
- Motorists save up to 15 minutes by using NorthConnex, improving the efficient movement of freight.
- Bypass 40 sets of traffic lights on the Pacific Highway to the Sydney CBD.
- NorthConnex provides two 3.5 metre wide lanes with a breakdown lane in each direction to minimise delays from incidents.
- NorthConnex delivers significant benefits to local communities by easing congestion and removing up to 5000 trucks daily from Pennant Hills Road. This improves safety, local air quality and reduces traffic noise.
- NorthConnex boosts productivity for the freight network, supporting businesses to be more competitive and contributing to a stronger economy.
- Twin nine kilometre motorway tunnels with two lanes and a breakdown lane in each direction, with three lane capacity for future traffic growth
- Integration on the Hills M2 Motorway to provide an extra 3.5 km westbound lane, on and off-ramps, and bridge widening works from Pennant Hills Road to the Windsor Road interchange
- On and off-ramps linking the tunnel and the existing M1 Pacific Motorway, Wahroonga and the Hills M2 Motorway at Pennant Hills Road
- Tunnel support facilities to provide air intake systems, emergency smoke extraction outlets and substations
- A Northern Interchange connecting the M1 Pacific Motorway, the Pacific Highway and Pennant Hills Road
- A northern ventilation outlet and support facilities located within and beside the existing M1 Motorway corridor
- A Southern Interchange connecting with Pennant Hills Road and the Hills M2 Motorway
- A motorway control centre, ventilation outlet and support facilities located near the Southern Interchange
For further details on the project, refer to the NorthConnex website.
- 11 Sept 2015: NorthConnex - Another step closer to fixing Australia’s worst urban road
- 05 Feb 2015:Work begins on NorthConnex: 8,700 jobs for NSW
- 02 Feb 2015: NorthConnex financial close
- 15 Jan 2015: Green light for NorthConnex to get underway
- 15 Jul 2014: Encouraging community feedback on the NorthConnex EIS
- 26 May 2014: Duncan Gay - Statement on NorthConnex
For media releases on the project refer to the NorthConnex website.
The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and related documents are available from the NorthConnex website.
Hornsby Quarry Road Construction Spoil Management project
The NorthConnex project has delivered more than one million cubic metres of excavated rock and soil to partially fill Hornsby Quarry.
NorthConnex has filled the quarry to a level that will allow Hornsby Shire Council to transform the site into a recreation area benefiting the community.
The site was handed back to Hornsby Shire Council in 2019.
For more information see Hornsby Quarry Road Construction Spoil Management project.
Archive of project documents
Current documents related to the project are available on the NorthConnex website.
Earlier documents are available on the Documents archive page.
For further information on NorthConnex operation contact:
Phone: 133 331
For further information on NorthConnex construction contact:
Phone:1800 997 057 (free call 24 hours)
Mail: Community Relations Team, Locked Bag 1001, West Pennant Hills NSW
Pennant Hills Road truck and bus regulation
For further information on the Pennant Hills Road truck and bus regulation contact: