Imported vehicles

If you intend to import a vehicle into Australia from overseas, you need a Vehicle Import Approval from the Commonwealth Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.

Because of the detailed technical requirements for registering imported vehicles, please contact Roads and Maritime Services Technical Enquiries for advice, by phoning 1300 137 302 or emailing

Most imported vehicles also require a Compliance Certificate from a licensed certifier. To find a licensed certifier, see:

Detailed information

For detailed information about the importation process, please refer to:

Applying for NSW registration

Once your imported vehicle meets the applicable NSW vehicle standards and has had all the required inspections and certifications, you can apply for NSW registration by following the steps shown in Get a NSW registration - used or second-hand vehicles.

Make sure you bring all of the documentation related to the imported vehicle with you.

Share this page: