Moving your driver or rider licence to NSW

Moving to NSW? Welcome! Here's how to get the right licence so you can continue to drive or ride on NSW roads.

Getting a NSW licence

If you are moving to NSW and are no longer a visiting driver, you'll need to get an equivalent NSW licence to continue driving or riding after 3 months.

In NSW, you must be at least:

  • 16 years for a learner driver licence
  • 16 years and 9 months for a learner rider licence
  • 17 years for a provisional driver or rider licence.

You may also need to pass medical, knowledge and driving tests. Your interstate or overseas licence will be taken into account when you apply for a NSW licence.

Follow the steps that apply to you.

Interstate drivers and riders

If you move to NSW from any Australian state or territory and hold a current licence, you can apply for a NSW equivalent licence. NSW will match the expiry date of your licence for no fee up to a maximum of 10 years.

New Zealand drivers and riders

Regardless of whether you are a permanent or temporary resident, you must apply for a NSW licence within 3 months of living in NSW to continue driving.

International drivers and riders

If you’re a permanent Australian resident

You can drive in NSW on a current overseas licence for up to 3 months. After that you'll need to apply for a NSW licence to continue driving or riding.

If you don't have permanent Australian residency

If you will be in NSW for more than 3 months, you can apply for a Temporary Overseas Visitor licence.

Language services

If you're deaf, have hearing difficulties or would like to talk to us in another language, we have:

  • live captioning
  • service centre staff who can speak community languages other than English, and
  • Auslan remote video interpreters.

Learn more or book one of these free language services.

Share this page: