Renewing or replacing your licence from interstate or overseas

If you’re temporarily out of NSW and need to renew or replace your licence, you can apply for your new licence by mail.

Applying by mail

If you need to renew or replace your licence and you're outside of NSW for less than 3 months, you can use a photo kit form. We'll send your new licence to your overseas or interstate address.

If you're living interstate or overseas continuously for 3 months or longer, you should apply for a licence for that state or country.


To apply by mail, your licence must:

  • be current or expired less than 5 years ago
  • not be a temporary paper licence
  • not be suspended or cancelled.

You must:

  • never have previously used a photo kit for renewal
  • be living interstate or overseas temporarily.

You can only use a photo kit once for renewal. This means the next time you need to renew, you’ll need to do it in person at a service centre in NSW.

Get a photo kit

To apply by mail, download a photo kit:

If you're overseas, you can have a photo kit posted to you by calling 13 22 13.

Submit your application

You can submit your application to us directly by post, or send it to a friend or relative in NSW to submit on your behalf.

By post

Send the kit and your payment to:

Photo-Licence Unit
Service NSW
PO Box 21

You can pay by:

  • Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit cards
  • an Australian cheque or money order
  • an overseas bank draft in Australian dollars. The overseas bank must endorse the draft as being payable at a nominated Australian bank, otherwise we cannot accept it.

Please do not send cash.

In person

You may ask a friend or relative to submit your application to a NSW service centre on your behalf. Interstate and overseas authorities cannot process your application.

If your name has changed

If you need to change the name on your licence, you'll need to visit a service centre once you return to NSW. You cannot change your name on licence records using a photo kit. See Changing your personal details for more information.

If your licence has your correct name, but your proof of identity document(s) show an old name that is different to the one currently on your licence, you'll need to provide a certified copy of one of the following documents. This will need to be certified by the witness in Section C of the photo kit:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Deed Poll registered with the relevant authority
  • Change of Name Certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Birth Certificate showing your name at birth and your new name
  • document showing evidence of change of name registered in the Land Titles Office.

Your documents should show a clear link between your old name and your current name.

Share this page: