Moving interstate from NSW

If you’re moving from NSW to live in another state, you can drive on your NSW licence for up to 3 months. After that you must transfer your licence to your new jurisdiction.

All Australian jurisdictions agree to allow drivers to move between states and territories, and exchange their old licences for new ones for no fee. Your new licence will be issued with an expiry date to coincide with the one on your old home state licence up to a period of 10 years.

There are no refunds on unexpired licences transferred to participating Australian licensing jurisdictions.

If you have a 10-year NSW driver licence and you move to an Australian state or territory that only issues licences for up to 5 years, you cannot claim a refund on any remaining tenure of the 10-year licence from NSW.

Share this page: