Full licence

After you’ve held your provisional P2 licence for at least 24 months you can progress to a full (unrestricted) driver licence.

However if you have been suspended for unsafe driving behaviour during your P2 period, you will need to stay on your P2 licence for an extra 6 months for each suspension received.

Getting a full licence

To apply for your full licence, you must:

Additional time on P2 for any suspension

Changes to the Graduated Licence Scheme require provisional P2 drivers who renew their licence on or after Monday 20 November 2017 to add 6 months to the time they are required to hold a P2 licence, when suspended for unsafe driving behaviour.

The 6 months is added for every suspension received. For example, if a P2 licence holder receives a demerit point suspension, they will need to hold their P2 licence for the normal 24 months and an extra 6 months before they can apply for a full licence. The time spent suspended does not count towards the licence period.

Converting an interstate or overseas licence

If you hold a licence from another Australian state or territory, or from overseas, see Moving to NSW for information about converting your licence to a NSW equivalent.

What can I drive with a full car licence?

If you hold a full car (class C) licence, you can drive:

  • Vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)
  • Vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver.

This generally includes cars, utes, vans, some light trucks, car-based motor tricycles, tractors, and implements such as graders.

Important: If you’re driving passengers for a fare or other form of payment, regardless of the class of licence or vehicle, you must also hold a Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Authority.

Upgrading your licence

Once you have a full car licence, you may wish to upgrade to a higher class of licence, allowing you to drive heavier vehicles.

See Getting a heavy vehicle licence for information.

Share this page: