Fines and penalty notices

Everything you need to know about getting a penalty notice, including how to pay, check your fine, nominate another driver or contest it.

Paying a fine

If you've been detected committing a traffic offence, such as speeding or running a red light, you'll receive a penalty notice.

If you were the driver of the vehicle and are responsible for the traffic offence, you can pay online, in person or by post. You need to pay the fine by the due date on the notice. This is usually 21 days from the date the penalty notice was issued.

You can pay securely online through the Revenue NSW website or use the Service NSW app.

Download the Service NSW app.

To pay in person or by post, see Revenue NSW for details.

Difficulty with payment

If you can't afford to pay by the due date, you may be able to pay by instalments.

If you are experiencing serious financial, medical or other personal problems, you can:

  • request a payment plan
  • apply for a work and development order
  • apply to have your debt written-off
  • apply for 50 per cent reduction in the fine amount (eligibility criteria apply).

For full details of these options, visit Revenue NSW.

Naming the person responsible

If you’ve received a fine but weren't responsible for the offence, you must transfer the fine to the person who was at fault. You only have 21 days from the date of the penalty notice to do this.

How are fines issued in NSW?

Penalty notices may be issued to you on the spot by police or sent by post.

NSW Police may issue a penalty notice by email, but only when the person responsible for the offence voluntarily provides their email address at the time of speaking with the police officer.

Checking if you have a fine

Generally, a penalty notice is issued within 28 days of the offence. You can check if you have any outstanding fines using the Service NSW app.

Alternatively, contact Revenue NSW.

Asking for a review

You can request a review if:

  • you believe there has been a mistake in issuing the penalty notice
  • you are responsible for the offence, but there are reasons that contributed it.

If you haven't paid the fine, you should try to make the request by the due date on the penalty reminder notice.

If you’ve already paid the fine you must contact Revenue NSW within 60 days from the date the penalty notice was issued.

Do you need to go to court?

Choosing to go to court is a big decision. The court may give you a fine up to 10 times the original penalty notice fine you received. You may also have to pay other costs or be convicted of an offence, which may be recorded on your criminal record.

If you have exhausted other options, such as getting a review, you may want to go to court if:

  • you don't believe you broke the law and you want to challenge the fine
  • you did break the law and want to plead guilty, but you think the penalty is too harsh and want to provide an explanation to the court.

Before you apply to go to court

You should always get legal advice before choosing to go to court. Remember: sometimes what you think is a defence is only an explanation. If you don't have a legal defence, you are still guilty of the offence.

Before you decide if going to court is the right decision for you, visit:
Revenue NSW
and LawAccess NSW for more information.

Applying to go to court

To take the matter to court, you can apply online or by post using the details on your penalty notice. For details, visit Revenue NSW.

See also

Share this page: