The strategy sets out the NSW Government’s 20-year plan to manage and guide the development of Gocup Road and the Snowy Mountains Highway from Tumut to the Hume Highway.
Investment priorities for the Tumut to Hume Highway corridor include:
- Road widening, road strengthening, straightening curves, providing overtaking lanes and safety improvements under the Gocup Road $70 million program of works funded by the NSW Government Regional Freight Pinch Point and Safety Program under Restart NSW
- Addressing current and emerging crash cluster locations on both the Snowy Mountains Highway and Gocup Road
- Road widening, road strengthening, straightening curves, providing overtaking lanes and safety improvements on the Snowy Mountains Highway
- Improving active transport infrastructure for local communities
- Investigating opportunities for future road realignment, overtaking opportunities and heavy vehicle rest areas.
Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services are progressively preparing network and corridor strategies to cover every State road in NSW as a response to the challenge of how to best manage and plan for transport infrastructure to maximise benefits for our customers. These strategies set a 20-year planning framework, which brings together road safety, traffic efficiency and asset management activities, together with policy in relation to freight access.
Strategies provide the following benefits for our road network:
- An evidence-based plan for improvement considering the transport needs of all road customers
- Transparency to the community, councils and other government agencies about our planning and investment decisions
- Consistency in planning, management and operation of roads
- Allow the integration of road safety, traffic and asset maintenance programs.
More information on network and corridor strategies is available on the Transport for NSW site.
For more information about this project contact Roads and Maritime Services Network and Corridor Planner Graham Horner:
Phone: (02) 6923 6507.