The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
APR 2021Night work continuing on The Northern Road, South Penrith
from Tuesday 6 April to 27 June 2021
More information in the night work continuing notification (PDF, 131Kb).More information
Weekend closure of The Northern Road between Maxwell Street and Jamison Road, South Penrith Friday 9 April to Monday 12 April
We need to temporarily close The Northern Road between Maxwell Street and Jamison Road for a weekend.
More information in the weekend closure notification (PDF, 150Kb).
Night time ramp closures on the M4 Motorway at The Northern Road on Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 April
We will need to temporarily close the eastbound on and off ramp from The Northern Road to the M4 Motorway.
More information in the night work closure notification (PDF, 154Kb).
Weekend work on The Northern Road, South Penrith Friday 16 April to Monday 19 April
We need to temporarily close The Northern Road between Tukara Road and Maxwell Street, and restrict right turn access to Maxwell Street and Bringelly Road and left turn access to Maxwell Street from The Northern Road.
More information in the weekend work notification (PDF, 115Kb).
Night time ramp closures on the M4 Motorway at The Northern Road on Tuesday 20 and Wednesday 21 April
We need to temporarily close the eastbound on ramp from The Northern Road to the M4 Motorway, and close the westbound off ramp from the M4 Motorway to The Northern Road.
More information in the night work closure notification (PDF, 122Kb).
Night time closures of The Northern Road between on Friday 23, Saturday 24 and Friday 30 April 2021
We need to temporarily close The Northern Road between:
- Frogmore Road and Jamison Road – 23 and 24 April 2021 (PDF, 184Kb)
- Maxwell Street to Derby – 30 April 2021 and 1 May 2021 (PDF, 114Kb).
More information in the night work closure notifications above.
Night time ramp closures of the M4 motorway on Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 April
The westbound on-ramp and eastbound off-ramp will be temporarily closed from:
- 8pm Tuesday 27 April to 5am Wednesday 28 April
- 8pm Wednesday 28 April to 5am Thursday 29 April.
More information in the night work closure notification (PDF, 194Kb).
Changes in lane configuration on The Northern Road between Glenmore Parkway and the M4 Motorway from Wednesday 28 April 2021
We will be opening additional lanes to traffic on the M4 Motorway ramps and The Northern Road in both directions.
More information in the works notification (PDF, 114Kb).
MAR 2021M4 ramp closure
Weekend closure of The Northern Road cancelled. M4/The Northern Road ramps closed nights of 30 and 31 March.
More information in the M4 ramp closure notification (PDF, 184Kb).More information
Traffic changes and night work
Traffic changes and night work at The Northern Road and intersections south of the M4 from Monday 1 March to 30 June 2021.
Work to finalise the upgrade of these areas will need to be done at night. More information view the traffic changes notification (PDF, 134Kb).
FEB 2021Proposal to provide u-turn bay on Glenmore Parkway
A new u-turn bay is proposed to be provided on Glenmore Parkway instead of the roundabout. For more information please read our February notification (PDF, 181Kb).
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It would also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
This upgrade covers about 4 kilometres between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith. It is planned to generally follow the existing road alignment.
As part of this upgrade, a number of building works are currently being carried out along The Northern Road.
For further information on individual areas of work, please read the following notifications:
- 5 August - 31 October: Continuous night work and temporary road closures on The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 857Kb)
- 1 August and 8 August: Wentworth Road closure (PDF, 248Kb)
- 24 July: Smith Street west closures for six weeks (PDF, 285Kb)
- 20 July – 22 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Jamison Road intersection (PDF, 194Kb)
- 10 July – 13 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 318Kb)
- 3 July - 16 August: Temporary west-facing ramps closures on the M4 Motorway at The Northern Road (PDF, 285Kb)
- 27 June - 30 September: Traffic changes and road closures on The Northern Road (PDF, 279Kb)
- 1 June - 31 August: Night work continuing on The Northern Road (PDF, 304Kb)
- 29 May - 31 May: The Northern Road closure and Tukara Road closure (PDF, 257Kb)
- 16 May: Changes to construction hours (COVID19) (PDF, 257Kb)
- 8 May – 31 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 321Kb)
- 20 March - 2 May: Night work and temporary closure of Frogmore Road (PDF, 330Kb)
- 4 March - 31 May: Road closures on The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway, Orchard Hills (PDF, 231Kb)
- Contractor: Acciona (formerly Lendlease Engineering)
- Start of major construction: mid-2017
- Expected completion date: mid-2021
- Project value (of all 6 sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding source: Australian and NSW governments
If you live along this route there may be changes to how you access your property. To see these changes, please visit our interactive portal.
The benefits of The Northern Road upgrade:
- Improving travel times by:
- Increasing the number of lanes along The Northern Road
- Removing a set of traffic lights at the M4 Interchange
- Providing additional turning lanes at some intersections
- Allowing for reliable public transport by providing a continuous kerbside bus lane in each direction
- Improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- Improving connectivity for pedestrians by providing new footpaths
- Improving road safety by:
- Providing a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Installing new traffic lights at two existing intersections
- Providing separate turning lanes at some intersections
- Improving the alignment of the road
- Improving local access by providing an extension of Cross Road to Wentworth Road
- Mitigating traffic noise impacts by providing two new noise barriers.
Key features of The Northern Road upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide four lanes in each direction (three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 Motorway with the existing bridge to be removed
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes at some intersections
- Providing continuous bus lanes in each direction
- Installing a central median
- Providing a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- Installing new street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- Installing new retaining walls
- Installing two new noise barriers
Acciona (formerly known as Lendlease Engineering) is the major contractor responsible for delivering the four kilometres of The Northern Road between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith. Work started in mid-2017 and it is expected that the road will be open to traffic in mid 2021.
We will continue to provide updates to the community as the project progresses.
Cyclist detour map
View or download a large version of The Northern Road cyclist detour map.
For construction information contact:
Phone: 1800 870 665
For further information about this project:
Phone: 1800 703 457 (toll free)
Mail: Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124