The Australian and NSW governments have upgraded The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
JUL 2022Upgrade complete
The upgrade of The Northern Road is now complete and the project office has been demobilised. All previous phone and email contacts for the project are not active. To contact a Transport for NSW representative please call 1800 703 457 and press 1 or email email@example.com
DEC 2021The Northern Road is open
The $1.6 billion Northern Road Upgrade between Narellan and South Penrith is officially open. The final stage of the upgrade between Littlefields Road and Glenmore Parkway was completed in November 2021 approximately a year ahead of schedule. Please view or download the December 2021 community update (PDF, 1.23Mb) for more information on each of the stages including their key features.
The Northern Road upgrade has delivered new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It has improved safety, increased road capacity and reduced congestion and travel times.
This upgrade covers about 4 kilometres between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith.
- Contractor: Acciona (formerly Lendlease Engineering)
- Start of major construction: mid-2017
- Expected completion date: mid-2021
- Project value (of all 6 sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding source: Australian and NSW governments
The benefits of The Northern Road upgrade:
- Improving travel times by:
- Increasing the number of lanes along The Northern Road
- Removing a set of traffic lights at the M4 Interchange
- Providing additional turning lanes at some intersections
- Allowing for reliable public transport by providing a continuous kerbside bus lane in each direction
- Improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- Improving connectivity for pedestrians by providing new footpaths
- Improving road safety by:
- Providing a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Installing new traffic lights at two existing intersections
- Providing separate turning lanes at some intersections
- Improving the alignment of the road
- Improving local access by providing an extension of Cross Road to Wentworth Road
- Mitigating traffic noise impacts by providing two new noise barriers.
Key features of The Northern Road upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide four lanes in each direction (three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 Motorway with the existing bridge to be removed
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes at some intersections
- Providing continuous bus lanes in each direction
- Installing a central median
- Providing a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- Installing new street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- Installing new retaining walls
- Installing two new noise barriers
Cyclist detour map
View or download a large version of The Northern Road cyclist detour map.