The NSW Government is planning a future upgrade of The Horsley Drive between the M7 Motorway and Cowpasture Road, Horsley Park to a four lane divided road. The upgrade would include the option for six lanes in the future to meet western Sydney’s transport needs and support expected industrial and employment growth.
JUN 2021Planning underway
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is continuing to plan The Horsley Drive upgrade between the M7 Motorway and Cowpasture Road, Horsley Park to meet Western Sydney’s transport needs and support expected industrial and employment growth.More information
The Horsley Drive is an essential east–west connection between the M7 Motorway and the Smithfield/Wetherill Park industrial area.
The upgrade would also improve access to the Western Sydney Employment Area and the Western Sydney Parklands.
For more information please see the June 2021 community update (PDF, 11.2Mb).
Earlier this year, TfNSW awarded the contract for the project detailed design to MRB Technical Services. Detailed design involves refining the concept design to prepare for construction.
We have also commenced property acquisition and will continue work with and support the affected property owners as the project progresses.
Detailed design is expected to be completed by early 2022.
After we finish detailed design we will run a competitive process to appoint a construction industry contractor to deliver the major construction work on the upgrade. We expect major construction to begin early 2023.
In the coming months we will start investigation work that will continue to inform the detailed design.
Most of our investigation work will be carried out during standard construction hours between 7am and 6pm Mondays to Fridays and 8am and 1pm on Saturdays, weather permitting. We will notify the community in advance of any work outside these standard hours.
We will continue to engage with property owners, community and other stakeholders as the design progresses.
The Horsley Drive between the M7 Motorway and Cowpasture Road, Horsley Park is an arterial road connection into the Smithfield/Wetherill Park industrial area that provides a strategic freight link to and from the M7 Motorway. The upgraded road would provide important east-west connections between the Western Sydney Employment Area, M7 Motorway and Wetherill Park/Smithfield industrial area.
The project would also deliver improved access to the Western Sydney Parklands and provide a separate off-road shared path for cyclists and pedestrians.
- More reliable travel times
- Improved east–west connection between Western Sydney Employment Area, the M7 Motorway and the Wetherill Park/ Smithfield industrial area
- Safer conditions for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Improved access to the Western Sydney Parklands
- Improved freight access and efficiency
- Increased road capacity.
- A four lane divided road between the M7 Motorway and Cowpasture Road with a wide central median to allow for six lanes in the future
- An extra eastbound lane from west of Ferrers Road to Cowpasture Road
- A pedestrian and cyclist shared path along The Horsley Drive, connecting to the Western Sydney Parklands cycleway
- Upgrade of the Ferrers Road intersection and Cowpasture Road north intersection
- Replace the roundabout at The Horsley Drive and Cowpasture Road with a traffic light intersection.
View or download The Horsley Drive Upgrade map.
|May 2019 - The Horsley Drive upgrade submissions report now online||25.1Kb|
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 685 212