The NSW Government has proposed a road network to support the forecast growth in the North West Growth Area. Over the next ten years, 33,000 homes will be built in the area and once fully developed, the area will be home to around 250,000 people.
MAR 2021Townson and Burdekin Road upgrade Q&A
FEB 2021Have your say
Transport for NSW is seeking feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for Townson and Burdekin Road Upgrade, Stage 1 of the project and is available for public comment until 19 March 2021. For more information view our February 2021 community update (PDF, 3.25Mb).More information
We welcome all your feedback on the REF by 19 March 2021. Feedback can be sent to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1300 367 561
- Mail: Townson and Burdekin Road Upgrade, Transport for NSW, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124
In response to the evolving Coronavirus situation, Transport for NSW is following NSW Health advice and changing the way it approaches community consultation for important transport infrastructure projects.
It is important for the community to have their say on all transport infrastructure projects. This means consultation will be carried out in different ways to ensure the community can practice social distancing and limit the spread of Coronavirus.
Online Community Information Session
To ensure the health and safety of the community and our staff we will replace face to face community information sessions with an online information session on the NSW Roads Facebook page on 2 March between 4pm and 4.30pm.
During the session, you can find out more about the REF from the project team and raise questions and concerns. If you are not able to join the live session or would like to submit your questions in advance, please email the team at email@example.com or call us on 1300 367 561.
All feedback received will be considered and factored into the next stages of the project.
SEP 2019Community information sessions
Transport for NSW held a number of community sessions in July and August to help inform our future road plans in the North West Growth Area.More information
We invited feedback until the 16 August 2019 and where applicable we are contacting individual residents to discuss their concerns.
We will keep the community informed as the design progresses.
In the meantime if you have any questions please contact us on:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phone: 1300 367 561.
Access within the North West Growth Area (NWGA) is restricted by the Richmond Railway line, which runs through the area in a north-south corridor. Existing crossings of the railway line are limited, with only two grade separated crossings at Schofields Road and Westminster Bridge, and two level crossings at Garfield Road and Bandon Road.
To facilitate growth and development in the North West, people that will live and work in the area, or travel through it, will need new infrastructure. This includes providing safe access to key facilities, as well as access to the wider transport network.
The NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) has granted Special Infrastructure Contribution (SIC) funding for Roads and Maritime Services to carry out the planning and concept design of Townson-Burdekin road.
The proposal runs from the intersection of Richmond Road and Townson Road, Marsden Park to the roundabout intersection of Burdekin Road and Walker Street, Schofields.
Transport is proposing a four lane divided road along Townson Road and Burdekin Road linking Richmond Road, Marsden Park in the west and Burdekin Road, Schofields in the east. The length of the project is about 3.6 kilometres.
The project consists of two stages:
- Stage 1 involves an upgrade of about 1.6 kilometres of road extending from Richmond Road to south of Jersey Road.
- Stage 2 is about two kilometres in length involving the construction of a new road between Stage 1 and Burdekin Road.
Benefits of the upgrade would include:
- improving road capacity to meet future traffic growth
- supporting residential and employment growth
- improving road safety
- improving connectivity between Richmond Road and Windsor Road
- encouraging active transport along the corridor.
Key features of the upgrade would include:
- a four lane dual carriageway separated by a median, between Richmond Road, Marsden Parkand Walker Street, Quakers Hill
- connection to new residential developments
- three new traffic signals intersections at Victory Road, Veron Road, and a new road proposed in the West.
- a new bridge over the train line, south of Schofields Stationnew bridges over Eastern Creek and Bells Creek
- a shared use path along the length of the road corridor connecting to nearby developments.
View or download a larger version of the map.
Review of Environmental Factors
Review of Environmental Factors
Main report and Appendices A to B
Concept design drawings
Urban design, landscape character and visual impact assessment
Traffic and transport impact assessment
Noise and vibration assessment
Hydrology and flooding
Surface water and groundwater
Biodiversity Impact Assessment
Aboriginal cultural heritage assessment
Socio-economic Impact Assessment
For more information, contact the project team:
Phone: 1300 367 561
Mail: Townson and Burdekin Road upgrade, Transport for NSW, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124