Transport for NSW has upgraded the roundabout to improve traffic flow and travel times on the New England Highway at Maitland.
The NSW Government invested $4.9 million to deliver traffic management solutions to improve traffic flow and travel times.
Traffic lights were installed on the eastbound approach to the New England Highway and Church Street roundabout to help reduce westbound queues. On Thursday 10 October 2019, the traffic lights were switched on.
The traffic lights help to better manage traffic, particularly in the afternoon peak, by providing more frequent gaps between vehicles to allow westbound traffic to travel through the roundabout.
Work also included widening Cessnock Road to extend the left lane by around 100 metres to near the U-turn bay. This has improved traffic flow and reduced the queue length on Cessnock Road in the morning peak by providing additional lane capacity for traffic traveling through the roundabout to Church Street.
Stage 2 improvements
The second stage of work involved:
- installing traffic lights on the Church Street approach to the roundabout to manage traffic flow during busy times
- modifying the roundabout to provide two through lanes from Church Street to Cessnock Road. This extra through lane will increase the capacity of the roundabout
- extending the two southbound lanes on Cessnock Road to Fishery Creek Bridge
- extending the two southbound lanes on Church Street
- providing two right turn lanes into Cessnock Road for eastbound traffic on the New England Highway
Traffic modelling shows these improvements are expected to reduce delay times for westbound motorists by around 80 per cent during afternoon peak hours.
We are continuing to progress plans to potentially further extend the two southbound lanes on Church Street over the rail bridge. We will provide another update to the community as this project progresses.
For more information and a diagram of the work please download the August 2020 project notification (PDF, 740Kb).
|August 2020 project notification||742Kb|
|May 2020 project notification||207Kb|
November 2019 project notification
Have your say - New England Highway traffic flow improvements at Maitland.
May 2019 project notification
Start of work at the New England Highway, Cessnock Road and Church Street roundabout, Maitland from Sunday 2 June 2019.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: (02) 4908 7724 (business hours – Viet Nguyen, Project Manager)