The Nelligen Bridge Replacement project will provide a new two lane bridge on the Kings Highway over the Clyde River at Nelligen.
The $148 million project is funded by the NSW Government.
Major work started in early 2021 and the new bridge is expected to be open to traffic by late 2023, weather permitting. Project completion, including removal of the old bridge is expected to be late 2024.
SEP 2021New date for out of hours work
Due to the complexity of piling work in the river, the precast pile cap shell installation for pier 8 has been rescheduled. This work will now take place from Saturday 25 September to Monday 27 September between 6am and 10pm, weather permitting.More information
SEP 2021Out of hours work in September
We will be working outside of our standard working hours to install a precast pile cap shell over pier 8 from Saturday 18 September to Monday 20 September between 6am and 10pm, weather permitting.More information
For more information about this work, view the latest September 2021 resident notification (PDF, 417Kb).
SEP 2021Changes to out of hours work from mid-September
We have amended our work hours to carry out some work activities more safely and efficiently. Notifications will continue to be sent out to nearby residents and the community prior to any out of hours work starting.More information
To find out more about these changes, please view the latest resident notification (PDF, 538Kb).
SEP 2021Out of hours work in September
We will be working outside of our standard working hours to install a precast pile cap shell over pier 3 from Saturday 4 September to Monday 6 September, weather permitting.More information
Our working hours will be between 6am and 10pm on Saturday, 8am to 6pm on Sunday and 6am to 10pm on Monday. For more information about this work, view the September 2021 resident notification (PDF, 648kb).
AUG 2021Out of hours work in August
We will be working outside of our standard working hours to install a precast pile cap shell over pier 9 in the Clyde River from Saturday 28 August to Monday 30 August, weather permitting. This work was originally planned from Saturday 21 August to Monday 23 August but was postponed due to weather.More information
Our working hours will be between 6am and 10pm Saturday, 8am and 6pm on Sunday and 6am to 10pm on Monday. For more information about these out of hours work activities view the August 2021 resident notification (PDF, 492Kb).
AUG 2021View the latest project update
Work has been progressing with the completion of 228 concrete injected columns as well as the arrival and commencement of two barges to carry out the driving of marine piles.More information
For more information on this and the upcoming work please view or download the August 2021 project update (PDF, 2.6Mb).
Subscribe for updates
Enter your details below to subscribe for project updates.
The NSW Government is investing $148 million for the construction of a replacement bridge on the Kings Highway over the Clyde River at Nelligen in New South Wales.
The Kings Highway plays an important role as the key east-west route for commuters and freight between the ACT / Queanbeyan region and the NSW far south coast. At a local level, the highway connects Nelligen and greater Eurobodalla region to employment, health and education resources in the ACT / Queanbeyan region.
The new bridge will provide safer and more reliable journeys on the Kings Highway for motorists, freight, pedestrians and cyclists.
Seymour Whyte Constructions has been awarded the construction contract for the project and work will start in early 2021.
The new bridge is expected to be open to traffic by late 2023, weather permitting, and the project is expected to be completed by late 2024.
The new 349 metre long bridge would include the following:
- 3.7 metre wide traffic lanes in each direction
- 2.5 metre wide shoulders in each direction
- A two metre wide pedestrian path on the southern side of the bridge with connections to Thule Road on the eastern side of the river and the existing footpath on Braidwood Street on the western side of the river
- Upgrades to the Kings Highway approaches to the new bridge on both sides of the river
- A new intersection between the Kings Highway and Maisies Lane
- Upgraded intersections between on Kings Highway at Bridge View Road and Old Nelligen Road
- Relocation of the existing bus stop and installation of a new shelter
- The project will improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists by providing an improved curve on the eastern side of the bridge, wider lanes and shoulders and safety barriers between the road and footpath
- A new bridge will provide a safe and reliable crossing over the Clyde River and will be built with a 100 year bridge design life
- The project will provide better and more reliable trips for people, business and freight particularly for those travelling on the Kings Highway between Batemans Bay and Canberra
- The project will also improve urban design and access around the river’s foreshore with a new community space and viewing area to be built on the western abutment of the existing bridge
For further information, please contact the project team on:
Phone: 1800 334 541
Mail: Nelligen Bridge, PO Box 477, Wollongong NSW 2520