Transport for NSW is building an interchange on the M1 Princes Motorway at the base of Mount Ousley. The interchange will replace the existing intersection of the Princes Motorway and Mount Ousley Road, which currently experiences long queues and delays during peak periods.
MAY 2022Frequently asked questions
For more information about the Mount Ousley interchange, take a look at our frequently asked questions.
JUN 2021Mount Ousley interchange progresses
The Australian Government has committed $240 million and the NSW Government has committed $60 million to build the Mount Ousley interchange.More information
We are carrying out preparation work including utility service investigations, further environmental assessment and property acquisition.
The interchange will replace the existing intersection of the Princes Motorway and Mount Ousley Road, which currently experiences long queues and delays during peak periods.
This project will improve safety for both light and heavy vehicles, provide for future traffic growth, improve access and travel time to and from the Princes Motorway and the Wollongong CBD and increase safety for both light and heavy vehicles.
The community will be kept informed of progress.
Subscribe for updates
Refinement and analysis of options
Select preferred options
Concept design and environmental impact assessment
WE ARE HERE
The Mount Ousley interchange project will replace the existing intersection of the Princes Motorway and Mount Ousley Road, improve road safety, travel times and accommodate the efficient movement of future traffic and freight growth.
This project is jointly funded by the Australian and NSW Governments.
- heavy vehicle only bypass lanes for southbound travel, separating cars and heavy vehicles
- two new heavy vehicle safety ramps
- new commuter car park with additional parking space and improved incident response facility
- new southbound service road between Mount Ousley Road and University Avenue
- upgrades and widening of the existing pedestrian bridge over the motorway at Northfields Avenue
- new pedestrian and cyclist bridge over Mount Ousley Road
- two new roundabouts and a bridge over the motorway for improved access between Mount Ousley Road, Princes Motorway and University of Wollongong
- improved pedestrian and cyclist connectivity on existing shared paths
- five metre noise walls along the northern side of the motorway and the southern side of Dumfries Avenue; and along the southern side of the motorway and northern side of Falder Place
- three and a half metre noise wall along the southern side of Mount Ousley Road, between Gowan Brae Avenue and the cul-de-sac at the western end.
- improved travel times
- safer access to and from the motorway to Mount Ousley Road
- improved access to the Wollongong CBD and University of Wollongong
- improved safety by separating cars and heavy vehicles travelling down Mount Ousley
- improved amenity for pedestrians and cyclists
- reduced vehicle operating costs
- provides for future traffic growth.
Transport for NSW displayed the Review of Environmental Factors and concept design for the Mount Ousley interchange between Thursday 16 November and Friday 15 December 2017. During the display we received 130 submissions and a total of 236 separate comments.
The environmental assessment for the Mount Ousley interchange is now complete and the Submissions Report was published in April 2018. The report addresses questions raised by the community during the consultation period in 2017.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 792 918
Mail: Mount Ousley interchange, PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2520.