Transport for NSW is upgrading Main Road to improve traffic flow and safety from Stanford Street to just north of Trenchard Street.
OCT 2021Start of work for Stage two
Work on the second stage of work will start on Monday 11 October and will be delivered in sections, starting at the eastern end of the project from near Averys Lane to east of Trenchard Street.
Work will be carried out between 7am and 5pm on weekdays. Occasionally we will carry out night work to minimise impacts to motorists.More information
We expect to complete up to three night shifts between 6.30pm and 4.30am in the week starting Sunday 17 October to set-up traffic arrangements for the first section of work. Work on the first section will be carried out in October and November, weather permitting.
Due to staging of utility relocations, when this first section of work has been completed there will be a temporary stoppage in work during December and we will return in January to continue with the next section of the project from near Heddon Street to Young Street.
For more information download our October 2021 project notification (PDF, 191Kb).
Stage one of the upgrade involved road upgrade work to facilitate the installation of traffic lights at the Main Road and Heddon Street intersection and providing two lanes in each direction at the intersection. This work has been funded and delivered by the Developer of the nearby residential estate and was required as part of the Developer's Development Application approval with Cessnock City Council.
To provide further traffic flow benefits to motorists, Transport for NSW has developed a second stage of work which would adjoin the upgraded intersection.
The NSW Government is investing $1 million through the Housing Acceleration Fund for the second stage of work and $2 million through the Traffic Efficiency Program, with a further $3 million provided through developer contributions.
This upgrade will manage traffic flow on Main Road and ensure the new Heddon Street intersection will operate effectively as traffic volumes increase, with significant residential development expected in the area over coming years.
The second stage of work involves:
- extending the two travel lanes in each direction on Main Road.
- extending the concrete median from Heddon Street to Stanford Street to improve safety by separating motorists travelling in opposite directions and preventing motorists from turning across multiple lanes.
- banning right turns in and out of Stanford Street, to reduce the risk of crashes. Motorists will be able to turn right by using the new traffic lights at the Heddon Street intersection.
- closing the access into Averys Lane from Main Road. Motorists will be able to access Averys Lane by using the new traffic lights at the Heddon Street intersection.
- introducing a no stopping zone along this section of Main Road and at the Heddon Street intersection.
- providing off-peak parking in front of the local shops. Parking will not be permitted between the hours of 6.30am and 9.30am and 3pm and 6pm weekdays.
- installing roadside safety barrier to help prevent motorists from veering off the road.
- providing a cycle lane to help cyclists travel safely through the intersection
- upgrading watermains.
- constructing the final road surface and traffic light posts at the intersection at Heddon Street
The traffic lights at Main Road and Heddon Street will be switched on when stage two has been completed.
View or download a copy of the project design (PDF, 553Kb).
There will be some temporary traffic changes to ensure the work zone is safe. A reduced 40km/h speed limit will be in place until completion of stage two. Temporary barriers will remain at the Heddon Street intersection with left in and left out access in place until stage two is completed.
Lane closures and traffic control will be in place during work hours and may affect travel times.
Work will be delivered in sections starting at the eastern end of the project. Parking will be impacted within the work area, however parking for the local shops will be provided during construction.
Please keep to speed limits and follow the direction of traffic controllers and signs.
Work on the first section east of Averys Lane will be carried out in October and November.
We will return in January to continue the section from Heddon Street to Young Street.
September 2021 project notification
Stage two work starting on Main Road upgrade, Heddon Greta from early October.
October 2021 project notification
Stage two work starting on Main Road upgrade, Heddon Greta from Monday 11 October.
September 2020 project notification
Project update for Main Road upgrade, Heddon Greta.
May 2020 project notification
Have your say on proposed upgrade of Main Road and Heddon Street at Heddon Greta.
September 2020 consultation report
Main Road and Heddon Street upgrade, Heddon Greta.
|27 May 2020 - Heddon Great community invited to help shape road upgrade||24.4Kb|
Phone: 0428 614 711 (Business hours, Project Delivery Manager Chandra Kasturiarachchi)
Mail: Chandra Kasturiarachchi Transport for NSW - Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle 2300 NSW