Transport for NSW has upgraded the M1 Pacific Motorway between the Tuggerah and Doyalson interchanges to improve traffic flow and safety. The upgrade involved widening the motorway to provide three lanes in each direction and rebuilding the roadway to provide a smoother and more durable surface.
This project was one of three M1 Upgrades providing a better and more reliable journey on one of Australia’s busiest roads.
The M1 Pacific Motorway is an important link for motorists travelling between Sydney to Brisbane, which is one of the busiest transport routes in Australia.
The upgrade between Tuggerah and Doyalson catered for the increase in traffic demand from growth in the Central Coast, Hunter and North Coast, along with increased freight demand.
This project is part of the M1 Upgrades, which also included upgrading the M1 between the Kariong and Somersby interchanges and at the Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection. The M1 Upgrades make up the $391.6 million M1 Productivity Package funded by the Australian and NSW governments to improve traffic flow and safety on the M1.
The upgrade included:
- widening a 12 kilometre section of the motorway to provide three lanes in each direction between Wyong Road at Tuggerah and the Doyalson Link Road
- rebuilding a nine kilometre section of the motorway between Wyong River and the Doyalson interchange to improve the road surface
- improving road drainage for safety during wet weather
- providing safety and capacity improvements to key motorway interchanges at Warnervale and Doyalson.
Key benefits included:
- increased traffic capacity along the motorway
- better travel times for motorists
- improved road safety
- smoother road surface.
June 2020 project update
M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades – Projects completed.
October 2019 project update
M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades – Tuggerah to Doyalson construction update
December 2018 project update
M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades – Tuggerah to Doyalson.
August 2018 project update
Building a better M1 Pacific Motorway.
For further information about this project contact the M1 Upgrades team:
Phone: 1800 841 778 (during business hours)
Mail: M1 Upgrades Project Team, Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300.