The NSW Government is investing in improvements at the Oxley Highway and King Creek Road intersection to improve the safety and efficiency of the intersection.
NOV 2021Have your say on proposed safety improvements
Transport for NSW is inviting feedback from the community about medium-term safety improvements at the Oxley Highway and King Creek Road intersection at Wauchope.More information
You can view our proposal in the community update (PDF, 2.19Mb).
The community is invited to comment by 5pm on Friday 17 December 2021 to:
- Email: RegionalDirectorAssets-Strategy@transport.nsw.gov.au or
- Mail: Transport for NSW, PO Box 576, Grafton, NSW 2460.
The NSW Government is investing in improvements at the Oxley Highway and King Creek Road intersection to improve the safety and efficiency of the intersection. Between 2015 and 2020 there were eight crashes at the intersection of the Oxley Highway and King Creek Road. These crashes included three serious injury crashes, eight moderate injury crashes and one non casualty crash.
Transport for NSW has been developing short, medium and long-term strategies to improve safety at this intersection in response to safety and efficiency issues raised by the community. Community members have advocated for both short term and long-term strategies to address both safety and traffic growth in the area.
The Oxley Highway road corridor is significantly constrained at the King Creek intersection due to water, power and optic fibre services to the north; properties and nearby houses to the south; and bridges and culverts to the east/west. This means that potential options such as a roundabout or traffic signals require a longer development time and detailed investigations in the planning phase to ensure they are able to operate safety and efficiently.
Transport is continuing to investigate and develop long term options for improving safety at the intersection and we have also developed short and medium-term strategies that would be implemented as soon as possible.
Transport is now seeking community feedback on the proposed medium-term strategies to improve safety and efficiency while longer term solutions continue to be explored.
Short-term strategies including providing electronic messaging at the intersection and improving sight lines by trimming vegetation are planned to be implemented from 22 November 2021.
The safety improvements at the King Creek Road and Oxley Highway intersection would include:
- Installing vehicle activated signs (solar operated) to warn east and west bound motorists of vehicles turning out of King Creek Road and turning right into King Creek Road.
- Providing a left turn lane, 45m in length, in King Creek Road.
- Providing a two staged merging lane with increased median width for motorists turning right from King Creek Road.
- Removing the existing channelised right turn treatment.
- Maintaining right and left turn movements from the Oxley Highway into King Creek Road.
- Resurfacing the road in the project area.
For further information about the safety improvements or to provide feedback please contact our Project Manager:
Phone: 0409 281 628
Mail: King Creek Road Intersection, Transport for NSW, PO Box 576 Grafton NSW 2460