Transport for NSW is repairing a culvert on the Snowy Mountains Highway at Jounama Creek, near Talbingo.
MAR 2020Change of work hours from Monday 9 March 2020
Work to repair damage on the culvert (large drain) at Jounama Creek is progressing. Work includes installing a walkway for maintenance workers, removing the damaged concrete material, rebuilding a new concrete slab and extending the drain’s external side walls.More information
To take advantage of good light and water flow conditions, we are extending the work hours.
Work will be carried out from 5am to 9pm, seven days a week from Monday 9 March 2020, depending on water levels and weather conditions.
All work carried out before 7am and after 8pm will be low noise to minimise disturbance to nearby properties.
The work is expected to be completed by mid-2020, however due to fluctuating water levels in Jounama Pondage, the project may extend into 2021.
The concrete slab on the culvert separating Jounama Creek and Jounama Pondage has been damaged, resulting in the slab separating from the culvert. The adjoining road embankment is also damaged and needs repair.
The damage is due to flood events in Jounama Creek since the culvert was built 50 years ago. Repairs are required to ensure further damage does not occur during flood events and reduce the` risk of emergency repair work closures on the Snowy Mountains Highway.
Construction started in November 2019. The work is expected to be completed by mid-2020, however due to fluctuating water levels in Jounama Pondage, the project may extend into 2021.
Features of the work include:
- building an access track off the Snowy Mountains Highway
- building site compounds for stockpiling of materials and equipment
- building an access ramp from the compound into Jounama Pondage
- removing the damaged concrete slab and loose material
- extending the external culvert side walls
- building a new apron slab
- reinstating road batters.
The objectives of the work include:
- providing a safe and available structure for all users
- ensuring the long-term serviceability of the Snowy Mountains Highway and culvert structure
- maintaining structural integrity of the culvert and embankment
- providing timely repairs to minimise asset deterioration
- being sensitive to the area’s natural environment, heritage and local communities.
A Review of Environmental Factors (REF) has been carried out to assess the likely impacts of the project on the environment and to detail the protective measures to be implemented.
The REF found the project would not significantly impact the environment. The safeguards detailed in the REF would avoid or minimise the expected impact.
View or download the Review of Environmental Factors report.
Culvert repair work is progressing and includes removing the damaged concrete material, rebuilding a new concrete slab and extending the drain’s external side walls.
Work will be carried out from 24 hours a day, seven days a week, where possible. Work periods will depend on water levels, weather and conditions.
During this time, single lane closures may be required on Snowy Mountains Highway for short periods. The majority of work will be carried out with no significant impacts to traffic, however speed restrictions will be in place during work hours.
For further information on this project please contact:
Mail: Jounama Creek culvert project team, 193-195 Morgan Street, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Phone: 1300 679 842.