The NSW Government is funding this project as part of its $300 million Gateway to the South Pinch Point Program which aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern corridors.
Transport for New South Wales is widening the Princes Highway and removing the tidal flow arrangement between James Street and south of Torrens Street, Blakehurst.
The completed project will provide an additional lane northbound, removing the need to operate the tidal flow.
The tidal flow arrangement on the Princes Highway reverses the direction of traffic of one southbound lane to northbound during the morning peak. This is then changed back to its original configuration outside the morning peak.
Work on this project is progressing well. Between July and September 2021, we will:
- continue utility investigation and relocation
- remove trees
- relocate the bus shelter in front of Todd Park
- continue traffic signal works
- continue property adjustment works.
We will work up to 63 day shifts and 64 night shifts between Thursday 1 July and Wednesday 30 September, weather permitting.
Our day work hours will be between 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday and Saturday between 8am and 1pm. Our night work hours will be between 7pm to 5am, from Sunday to Thursday.
We will not work during the day on Sundays, public holidays or during heavy rainfall. Thank you for your ongoing patience as we carry out this important work.
For more information please view or download the July work update (PDF, 444Kb).
Transport for NSW will be upgrading the Princes Highway between James Street and south of Torrens Street, Blakehurst.
The tidal flow arrangement operating between James Street and south of Torrens Street, Blakehurst allows traffic on one lane of Princes Highway to travel in either direction depending on traffic conditions. It improves the flow of traffic during peak periods by altering its direction to accommodate additional traffic. This project will provide motorists with a permanent solution to traffic congestion, by widening the Princes Highway to provide an additional lane.
Work will include:
- widening Princes Highway between James Street and south of Torrens Street to accommodate the removal of the existing tidal flow arrangement
- building an extra lane to allow for four northbound lanes and three southbound lanes between James Street and south of Torrens Street
- installing new signalised pedestrian crossings on Bunyala, Water and Torrens Street
- realigning the access into Torrens Street and Church Street from the Princes Highway
- adjusting the access into the Church Street car park from Church Street and relocating the water bubbler
- relocating the existing north bound bus stop on Princes Highway closer to the Church Street car park
- adjusting existing footpaths on Princes Highway, Torrens Street and Church Street
- relocating the existing lighting, utilities, signage and drainage
- tree removal, significant and larger tree protection and retention and landscaping.
We will keep you updated on construction timelines as our work progresses.
July work update
Work continuing on the Princes Highway between James Street and south of Torrens Street, Blakehurst
April work update
Road work on the Princes Highway between James Street and south of Torrens Street.
January work update
Our work from Monday 25 January 2021
September start of work notification
Work starts at Princes Highway between James Street and south of Torrens Street, Blakehurst
February 2020 Start of work notification
Demolition work will begin in early February 2020
June 2018 project notification
Investigation work on the Princes Highway, Blakehurst from Monday 25 June 2018.
Phone: Our delivery partner, Ward Civil, 1800 897 841
Post: Gateway to the South Program Project Team,
Transport for NSW,
PO Box 973,
Parramatta, NSW, 2124.