The NSW Government have announced $35 million to deliver the first stage of the Hillsborough Road upgrade.
NOV 2021Community Consultation Report now available
Transport for NSW has prepared a community consultation report which summarises feedback from the community and key stakeholders on the proposed upgrade of Hillsborough Road. View or download the community consultation report (PDF, 603kb).More information
Transport is now working on the development of the concept design and environmental assessment for the upgrade and we plan to publicly display the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and Concept Design for the project in late-2022.
Given the complexity of the Hillsborough Road upgrade Transport for NSW will be delivering the upgrade of Hillsborough Road from the Newcastle Inner City Bypass to west of Crockett Street in three stages:
Stage 1 – Hillsborough Road between west of Barker Avenue and the existing duplication west of Crockett Street
Stage 2 – Hillsborough Road between Higham Road and the Newcastle Inner City Bypass, including Chadwick Street
Stage 3 – the remainder of the Hillsborough Road corridor between Crockett Street and Higham Road.
We are delivering Stage 1 between west of Barker Avenue and the existing duplication west of Crockett Street. This will see the duplication of about 600 metres of Hillsborough Road, installation of traffic lights at Crockett Street as well as other road safety improvements.
We are continuing planning for Stage 2 and Stage 3 of the Hillsborough Road upgrade and will keep the community and key stakeholders informed on the timing of these future stages as the project progresses.
On completion, the full upgrade will deliver the duplication of about 1.8 kilometres of Hillsborough Road, installation of traffic lights at Crockett and Chadwick streets as well as other road and safety improvements.
Transport for NSW is planning the duplication of about 1.8 kilometres of Hillsborough Road, including installing traffic lights at Crockett and Chadwick Streets as well as other road and safety improvements. Around 35,000 motorists use Hillsborough Road daily and this upgrade would improve traffic flow, safety and accessibility for all road users.
Key features of the project
- Duplication of about 1.8 km of Hillsborough Road between the Newcastle Inner City Bypass roundabout and the existing duplication west of Crockett Street.
- Two lanes in each direction separated by a raised median
- Posted speed limit of 60 km/h
- Traffic lights at Crockett Street intersection
- Shoulder with provision for cyclists in both directions
- Off road shared path on the northern side of Hillsborough Road providing for both cyclists and pedestrians
- Culvert widening at Winding Creek
- Culvert widening between Crockett Street and Barker Avenue
- Traffic lights at Chadwick Street intersection
- Modification to Higham Road intersection
- New entry and exit accesses for the Combined Newcastle Canine Club showgrounds
- Left in / left in out only from existing businesses fronting Hillsborough Road.
- Modification to Barker Avenue intersection
Transport will consider all feedback received during the consultation period in the next stage of the project.
Transport recently awarded a contract for the development of the concept design and environmental assessment for the upgrade and we plan to publicly display the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and Concept Design for the project in mid-2022.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 161 210 (business hours – Kate Hagan, Project Development Manager)