The NSW Government is planning to upgrade Henry Lawson Drive to reduce congestion and improve safety and connectivity. The upgrade is being carried out in stages to minimise impact to road users and the surrounding community. The Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Program includes the Georges Hall Upgrade between Beale Street and Rabaul Road, Georges Hall, Stage 1A between Tower Road, Bankstown Aerodrome and Auld Avenue, Milperra, and Stage 1B between Auld Avenue and the M5 Motorway, Milperra.
Stage 1B would provide more capacity for vehicles travelling through Henry Lawson Drive between Milperra Road/ Newbridge Road and the M5 Motorway. It would improve efficiency along the corridor and safety for motorists and pedestrians.
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1B in Milperra spans approximately a 1.8 kilometre section of Henry Lawson Drive between Auld Avenue to the north and the approach to the M5 Motorway to the south. In June 2021 the NSW Government committed $22.5 million for the planning and design of the Henry Lawson Drive upgrade in Milperra between Auld Avenue and the M5 Motorway.
The upgrade consists of widening Henry Lawson Drive to four lanes, a road that would link Auld Avenue with Keys Parade, a road that would link Raleigh Road with Keys Parade, upgrades at intersections, and improved active transport connectivity along the corridor.
- The current concept design for Henry Lawson Dr (HLD) upgrade Stage 1B consists of:
- road widening to two lanes (one lane currently) in both directions
- upgrade of two intersections which currently have traffic lights
- Bullecourt Avenue at Henry Lawson Drive
- Pozieres Avenue at Henry Lawson Drive
- link road between Auld Avenue and Keys Parade
- link road between Raleigh Road and Keys Parade with an associated closure of Raleigh Rd at Henry Lawson Dr
- installation of central road median along the corridor
- improvements to footpath and shared path connectivity
- change of road access to left-in/ left-out only on Henry Lawson Drive at:
- Ruthven Ave - detour via Raleigh Road and Keys Parade
- Ingram Avenue – detour via Bullecourt Avenue which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded
- Ganmain Cres - detour via Raleigh Road and Keys Parade (right in) and via Pozieres Avenue (right out)
- Fromelles Ave - detour via Bullecourt Ave which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded
- Hermies Ave - detour via Bullecourt Ave which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded
The investigations along the Stage 1B project corridor started in May 2022 and is expected to finish in October 2022. Consultation with the community on the project concept design is expected to start by the end of 2022.
For more information on our Henry Lawson Drive projects, or if you wish to receive email updates, please contact the Henry Lawson Drive project team:
Phone: 1800 684 890