Roads and Maritime Services increased capacity on City West Link between Waratah Street at Haberfield and James Street at Leichhardt.
MAR 2019Project complete
Roads and Maritime Services has completed the improvement of City West Link between Haberfield and Leichhardt in March 2019. An additional eastbound lane was opened to traffic in December 2018.
Roads and Maritime Services investigated options to improve traffic flow and travel reliability along City West Link between the New M4 at Haberfield and James Street at Leichhardt. Before the improvement this section of City West Link was a four lane divided arterial road between Waratah Street at Haberfield and James Street at Leichhardt.
The two kilometre improvement included reallocation of existing road space on City West Link to provide an additional eastbound traffic lane. Now, City West Link has capacity for five lanes, three eastbound and two westbound.
- An additional eastbound traffic lane between Waratah Street at Haberfield and James Street at Lilyfield
- New pavement on City West Link which reduced road surface noise
- A new median and new line marking to allow for the five lane configuration
- New traffic lights at City West Link and Timbrell Drive/Mortley Avenue intersection at Haberfield to improve safety
The benefits of City West Link improvement work include:
- reduced congestion and queueing improving travel times along City West Link, particularly during morning peaks
- improved capacity of the road network to cater for needs of traffic in the region, particularly following the completion of the M4 East project
- improved average peak hour travel time and speeds between Waratah Street and James Street
- minimised construction impact to the surrounding community and environment
- improved roadside amenity particularly for users of the shared path along City West Link.
March 2019 community update
City West Link improvement work project completion.
December 2018 community update
City West Link improvement work traffic changes from Sunday 9 December 2018.
September 2018 community update
City West Link improvement night work from Sunday 2 September 2018.
August 2018 community update
City West Link improvement work.
For more information please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 951 212
Mail: Roads and Maritime Services, Network Integration, Locked Bag 928, North Sydney NSW 2060