The Australian and NSW Governments are funded an upgrade at these intersections to improve traffic flow and increase safety for motorists and pedestrians.
SEP 2021Start of work
Work on the intersection upgrade will be carried out from Sunday 12 September and be completed by April 2022.More information
Work will be carried out between 6.30pm and 4.30am from Sunday to Thursday nights.
For more information and to view a copy of the project design, please view our September 2021 project notification (PDF, 609Kb).
The Australian and NSW Government’s are providing $3.7 million under the Road Safety Program for the intersection upgrade.
This project will ensure smoother and safer journeys for the more than 14,000 motorists who travel along this section of Cessnock Road each day.
We consulted with the local community on the proposed design in 2019 and some changes were made to address some of the issues raised.
The project includes:
- installing traffic lights at Orange Street, which include pedestrian crossings
- road widening along the southern side of Cessnock Road
- providing right turn lanes into Orange Street and Charles Street, which improves traffic flow for motorists continuing through on Cessnock Road
- extending the left turning lane from Charles Street onto Cessnock Road
- building a concrete island to separate the left turn lane into Charles Street which will improve sight lines for motorists turning onto Cessnock Road.
- road resurfacing and installing new line marking, including KEEP CLEAR markings
- minor relocation of the bus stop on the southern side of the road
- building sections of concrete kerb and footpath.
To view a copy of the project design, please view our September 2021 project notification (PDF, 609Kb).
We have tried to minimise the loss of parking where possible, however the project requires the removal of 14 parking spaces on the southern side of Cessnock Road due to road widening and one on the northern side of the road. The small carpark on Charles Street will be removed for the new left turn lane. Four new spaces will be created on the northern side of the road east of Orange Street.
For further information about construction activities contact:
Phone: (02) 4968 5223 (business hours – David Liu, Project Delivery Manager)
For further information about the project design contact:
Phone: (02) 4908 7724 (business hours – Viet Nguyen, Project Manager)