Transport for NSW is planning to upgrade the Central Coast Highway for 3.8 kilometres between Wamberal and Bateau Bay. The proposal will see the highway upgraded to two lanes in both directions between the Tumbi Road intersection and Bateau Bay Road intersection to improve travel time and safety for 26,500 motorists who use this section of highway daily.
MAR 2021Tumbi Road intersection investigation work
As part of the Central Coast Highway upgrade project, the upgrade of the Tumbi Road and Central Coast Highway intersection has been fast tracked with planning now being carried out.More information
Transport for NSW will carry out work including geotechnical investigations at sites around the Tumbi Road intersection to better understand the ground conditions. More information can be found in the March 2021 notification (PDF, 81.6Kb).
These field investigations will help to prepare the detailed design for the proposed intersection upgrade.
Work will be split between day and night shifts.
The day shifts will be carried out between 7am and 5pm and the night shifts between 7pm and 5am from Tuesday 9 March. We expect to complete the work in four weeks, weather permitting.
There will be some temporary traffic changes to ensure the work zone is safe.
Lane closures and a 40km/h speed limit will be in place during night work hours and may affect travel times.
Motorists should allow a couple of minutes extra travel time during this work.
The NSW Government committed $387 million in March 2019 to duplicate the Central Coast Highway between Wamberal and Bateau Bay.
The NSW Government has invested $4 million to enable Transport to progress early planning for this project.
Around 26,500 motorists use this section of the highway daily and this upgrade will ensure the Central Coast Highway between Wamberal and Bateau Bay is prepared to handle future growth.
- Improved consistent travel time and reducing congestion between Wamberal and Bateau Bay
- Reduced delays at key intersections
- Improved road user safety
- Safer cycling and pedestrian facilities, particularly near intersections
- Enhancing economic growth and productivity, particularly during busy holiday times
New Traffic lights at:
- Tumbi Road intersection
- Crystal Street intersection
- Forresters Beach Road intersection
- Bellevue Road intersection
- Passage Road / Coleridge Road intersection
- Existing traffic lights at Bateau Bay Road will be modified
- Cresthaven Avenue roundabout upgraded to two through lanes in both directions on the Highway.
Left in - left out only at:
- Bakali Road intersection
- Alistair Avenue intersection
- Coleridge Road (north entry) intersection
Dedicated right turn lane in and out at:
- Apollo Resort Entry, Wamberal
- Mistview Circuit intersection
- Whalans Road intersection
Dedicated right turn lane in and u-turn facility at:
- Maas Parade
- New indented bus bays north and south of the Tumbi Road intersection
- New indented bus bays on the northern side of Passage and Coleridge Road intersection.
- Existing bus bay on Tumbi Road approach removed
- Existing bus bay on southern side of Bellevue Road removed
- 3 metres wide on the whole length of the eastern side (3.8 km)
- 1.5 metre wide footpath on whole length of western side (3.3km), except between Bellevue Road and Passage Road
On road cycleway/shoulder:
- 2 metre wide on-road cycleway in both directions between Tumbi Road and Cresthaven Avenue.
March 2021 project notification
Investigation work at Tumbi Road and Central Coast Highway intersection, Wamberal from Tuesday 9 March.
June 2020 community update
Central Coast Highway upgrade Wamberal to Bateau Bay.
December 2020 consultation report
Central Coast Highway upgrade – Wamberal to Bateau Bay.