The NSW Government has started early planning for a future upgrade and extension of Cambridge Avenue, Glenfield. This upgrade would improve access to the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal and address the long term population and employment growth in the Liverpool Moorebank sub region.
FEB 2021Have your say
Transport for NSW requested feedback on the recommended design for the Cambridge Avenue upgrade.More information
We assessed options and displayed an options report for public comment.
In response to the evolving Coronavirus situation, Transport for NSW following NSW Health advice organised community consultation for important transport infrastructure projects. It is important for the community to have their say on all transport infrastructure projects. This means consultation is being carried out in different ways to ensure the community can practise social distancing and limit the spread of Coronavirus.
To ensure the health and safety of the community and our staff we replaced face to face community information sessions with online information sessions on the NSW Roads Facebook page. Where you can watch the recording of these sessions.
Thank you to all those who have made a submission on the recommended design for the upgrade. Transport for NSW will prepare a report and publish online.
Transport for NSW will continue to provide the community with updates as the project progresses.
If you have any questions, please contact the project team on 1800 370 601 or email email@example.com.
Western Sydney is Australia's third largest economy and the population is expected to grow from two million to three million people over the next 20 years. The NSW Government is planning for this growth by planning for transport corridors to serve future residential and employment lands.
Cambridge Avenue is an important future transport corridor providing access to the Moorebank Logistics Park, the Western Sydney Employment Area, Badgerys Creek Airport, and the South West Growth Centre.
Transport for NSW has developed a recommended option for the proposal.
Transport for NSW has identified a design to link Moorebank Logistics Park and the Hume Motorway to improve access.
The recommended design would involve duplication and extension of Cambridge Avenue westward from Moorebank Avenue to Campbelltown Road including:
- four lanes between Moorebank Logistics Park and Canterbury Road
- extending of Cambridge Avenue as a dual-carriageway with provision for up to six-lanes between Glenfield Road and Campbelltown Road
- an improved M31 Hume Motorway and Campbelltown Road interchange access which would enable motorists travelling:
- north on the Hume Motorway to exit to Campbelltown Road
- on Campbelltown Road to join the M31 Hume Motorway to take either M5 eastbound or M7 northbound
- south on the M7 Motorway to exit to Campbelltown Road.
- Campbelltown Road would also be upgraded between Ingleburn Gardens Drive and Parkers Farm Place.
- new bridge over the Main South and East Hills rail lines and the Southern Sydney Freight Line at Glenfield
- New bridge over Georges River with flood immunity for 1 in 100 year flood
- new bridge over the East Hills Rail Line at Moorebank
- new bridge over the Hume Motorway on Campbelltown Road.
Transport for NSW has developed the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal Road Access (MITRA) Strategy to address increasing traffic and freight movements in the Liverpool - Moorebank area over the next 10-20 years. The strategy has identified road infrastructure improvements to meet the forecast growth of Liverpool CBD and regional traffic, together with construction of the Moorebank Logistics Park. The facility will generate over 6,600 heavy vehicle trips and 10,000 light vehicle trips per day.
The proposal to upgrade Cambridge Avenue is one of the road infrastructure improvements identified in the MITRA strategy.
The recommended design would:
- provide a reliable road network to support economic and residential growth in western Sydney
- reduce congestion in the wider Sydney road network
- provide efficient, reliable travel between the Moorebank Logistics Park and the state road network
- support the M5 Motorway as the key gateway for south‑west Sydney
- improve flood resilience across the Georges River.
As the project progresses, there will be a need for Transport to acquire some properties. These may be full or partial property acquisitions.
A Transport Personal Manager Acquisitions will speak directly with any potentially affected property owners and continue to be in contact as the project progresses.
More information about the property acquisition process is available at Property Acquisition NSW
Consultation is now closed. All comments received during consultation for the recommended design will be considered in decision making and development of the final concept design. A report which summarises comments or questions received for the proposed upgrade, and our responses, will be published on the Transport website. If you submit feedback you will receive notification of the report's availability.
We will keep community members and stakeholders informed of the progress throughout the delivery of the project.
More information is also available about the wider plans for Glenfield precinct.
April 2020 project notification
Investigation and survey work to continue on the M5 and M31 motorways, Campbelltown Road, Cambridge Avenue and Moorebank Avenue, Glenfield until June 2020
January 2020 project notification
Investigation and survey work on the M31 Motorway, Cambridge Avenue and Moorebank Avenue, Glenfield from 13 January 2020
October 2019 project notification
Investigation work in Glenfield and M31 Motorway from Wednesday 30 October 2019
April 2019 project notification
Survey investigations on Cambridge Avenue and Moorebank Avenue, Glenfield from Monday 15 April 2019.
December 2020 community update
Have your say - recommended design
For more information about the project, please contact the project team.
Phone: 1800 370 601 (during business hours)
Mail: Cambridge Avenue upgrade, Transport for NSW, PO Box 973, Parramatta NSW 2124