The NSW Government is providing up to $19 million to upgrade key intersections on the Woy Woy peninsula. The proposed upgrades at the Blackwall and McMasters Road intersection, the intersections at Blackwall, Allfield and Farnell Roads and the intersection of Memorial Avenue, Barrenjoey Road and Maitland Bay Drive aim to improve travel times and safety for all road users.
SEP 2020Community Consultation Summary report now available to view
The Community Consultation Summary Report for the project is now available to view.More information
The report provides a summary of the community consultation carried out by Transport for NSW in February 2020 to seek feedback on the design for future intersection upgrades at Blackwall Road and Memorial Avenue, Woy Woy and Blackwall.
A total of 30 responses were received from the community.
More information can be found in the September 2020 Community Consultation Summary Report (PDF, 523Kb).
All responses will be considered as we move into the next stage of the design.
The community will have another chance to comment when the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and updated design is displayed for comment in 2021.
FEB 2020Early investigations and preliminary design work
Early investigations and preliminary design work is being carried out for the proposed intersection upgrades.More information
Transport for NSW is inviting feedback on the proposed strategic design for the three main intersection upgrades along Blackwall Road.
More information can be found in the February 2020 community update (PDF, 5.26Mb).
The community will have another chance to comment when the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and updated design is displayed for comment.
Blackwall Road and Memorial Avenue is used by around 18,000 vehicles a day and provides links between Woy Woy, Ettalong and the suburbs on the eastern side of the Rip Bridge including Daleys Point and St Huberts Island.
The NSW Government is providing up to $19 million to upgrade the key intersections along the route.
Upgrading the Blackwall Road and Memorial Avenue intersections will result in:
- Improving travel time and reducing congestion along Blackwall Road and Memorial Avenue
- Improving road user safety
- Providing safer pedestrian and cyclist facilities and helping to encourage active transport
- Supporting economic growth and productivity by providing road capacity for existing and project traffic volumes.
Blackwall, Allfield and Farnell Roads
- New traffic lights at Farnell Road
- No access out of Allfield Road (east) onto Blackwall Road to improve traffic efficiency and safety
- Kerb and gutter along Farnell Road
- New pathway along Farnell Road
- New left turn bay Blackwall Road to Allfield Road
Blackwall and McMasters Road
- Dedicated right turn lane from Blackwall Road onto McMasters Road
- Removal of right turn from McMasters Road onto Blackwall Road
- New mid-block pedestrian activated traffic lights on Blackwall Road, south of the of the intersection
Memorial Avenue and Maitland Bay Drive intersection
- Provide dual right turn lanes from Maitland Bay Drive onto Memorial Avenue to improve traffic efficiency and flow and to ease congestion
- Provide two lanes northbound from Barrenjoey Road
- Separate left and right turn lanes out of Gallipoli Avenue to reduce congestion.
Blackwall Road near Victoria Road
- Raised pedestrian crossing
February 2020 community update
Blackwall Road and Memorial Avenue Intersection Upgrades.