Transport for NSW is upgrading the Princes Highway between Berry and Bomaderry. The $450 million project will improve safety, increase road capacity, improve traffic flow and deliver better and more reliable journeys on this section of the highway. The upgrade is scheduled for completion in 2022 and will be the final piece of more than 30 kilometres of highway upgraded between Gerringong and Bomaderry since work started in 2012.
JUL 2021Signifcant project milestones reached
A number of exciting milestones have been reached on the projet over the previous six months including the opening of the bridge at Strongs Road and the Croziers Road intersection.
APR 2021Traffic changes Strongs Road and Jaspers Brush Road
We will be making changes to the Strongs Road and Jaspers Brush Road intersections to allow us to complete construction of this section of the project.
The new overpass at Strongs Road will open on the night of Thursday 22 April (weather permitting), connecting Strongs Road with Jaspers Brush Road. At the same time Jaspers Brush Road will open in its new alignment.
DEC 2020Christmas shut down 2020
We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your patience this year while we construct the Berry to Bomaderry Princes Highway upgrade.More information
Project operations will cease for the Christmas break on the afternoon of Thursday 17 December 2020 and resume Tuesday 5 January 2021. Motorists are reminded that the reduced 80km/h work zone speed limit will continue to be enforced during this time.
In the event of an emergency during shut down, please contact us on 1800 506 976.
We wish you and your family a safe and happy Christmas and New Year break.
OCT 2020Traffic changes between Ison Lane and Abernethys Lane
Traffic will be moved onto new sections of highway between Ison Lane, Jaspers Brush and Abernethys Lane, Meroo Meadow from Wednesday 7 October. These changes will also include the full opening of the Pestells Lane overpass at Meroo Meadow.More information
Motorists are reminded that the Meroo Road/Princes Highway intersection will be closed from 7 October until December 2020 to allow for the upgrade of the old highway at this location. During this time, access between Meroo Road and the Princes Highway will be via the new Pestells Lane overpass, from the western side of the highway.
Diagrams of these traffic changes are detailed in the August project update (PDF, 4.71Mb).
Major work started in September 2018. The NSW Government has engaged Downer Seymour Whyte Joint Venture (DSWJV) to build the upgrade.
Work on the upgrade will typically occur between 7am and 6pm on weekdays and between 8am and 1pm on Saturdays, excluding public holidays and weather permitting. The local community will be informed in advance if night work is required.
For the safety of workers, the speed limit between Mullers Lane, Berry and Cambewarra Road, Bomaderry has been reduced to 80km/h and a reduced speed limit of 40 km/h may apply during roadwork. There will be temporary stopping of highway traffic for up to two minutes as required while work is progressing.
Motorists should plan their trip, allow for extra travel time, keep to speed limits and follow the direction of traffic control and road signs.
Work is scheduled for completion in 2022.
The Berry to Bomaderry upgrade will include the following key features:
- A 100km/h speed limit north of Abernethys Lane
- An overpass of the highway between Pestells Lane and Meroo Road
- An underpass at Devitts Lane and Morschels Lane for local road access
- An overpass of the highway between Strongs Road and Jaspers Brush Road
- Protected right turn bays to northbound and southbound u-turn bays
- A heavy vehicle inspection bay near Jaspers Brush
- A total of eight bridges over waterways
- Fauna friendly features in the bridge designs at Flying Fox Creek, Jaspers Brush Creek and Wileys Creek
- Increased road shoulder widths to three metres, where possible, with vehicle breakdown bays at regular intervals
- Modifications to local roads, including Strongs Road, Jaspers Brush Road, Morschels Lane, Devitts Lane, Pestells Lane and Abernethys Lane
- Relocation and upgrade of existing bus stops at Mullers Lane, Croziers Road, Strongs Road, Morschels Lane, Lamonds Lane and Boxsells Lane
- Drainage and flood mitigation structures.
The project will:
- Increase road capacity and improve traffic efficiency - will complete a minimum four-lane divided route between Sydney and Jervis Bay Road, south of Nowra and increase overtaking opportunities
- Improve safety - providing a median and barriers to separate opposing traffic flows and providing wide road shoulders
- Plan for future growth - supporting regional and local economic development
New section of the Berry to Bomaderry upgrade opens to traffic
Final overpass for Berry to Bomaderry upgrade opens to traffic
Berry to Bomaderry upgrade powering ahead
Major milestone for Berry to Bomaderry
Safety measures removing right hand turns to roll out on Berry to Bomaderry upgrade
Bridge girders moving into place
Night work on Princes Highway between Jaspers Brusha nd Bomaderry
Statement: noise mitigation
Work underway on bridges for Berry to Bomaderry upgrade
For issues, enquiries or feedback during construction please contact:
Phone: 1800 506 976
Mail: Berry to Bomaderry upgrade, 313B Princes Highway, Bomaderry NSW 2541
For further information about the development of this project please contact:
Mail: Berry to Bomaderry upgrade, PO Box 477, Wollongong NSW 2520