Roads and Maritime Services has completed work on a pedestrian bridge on Beecroft Road near Beecroft Public School as part of the NSW Government’s Active Transport Pedestrian Bridges Program.
JUL 2016Work complete
Construction work for the new pedestrian bridge was carried out from November 2015 to July 2016.
Work completed includes building foundations, stairs and lift shafts, lifting the bridge span onto the piers, excavating, removing trees, vegetation, establishing a site office and adjusting utilities.
The pedestrian bridge span was lifted into place on Saturday 18 June and the bridge was opened on Tuesday 19 July.
See the July 2016 community update (PDF, 245Kb) for the latest information.
The key benefits to the community include:
- Providing a safe crossing for Beecroft Public School students and other pedestrians
- Providing better pedestrian connections between properties on the western side of Beecroft Road and the station, community centre and Beecroft Village Green
- Providing a safer accessible crossing for people with limited mobility and prams by including lifts in the bridge design.
The pedestrian bridge is about 9.2 metres high and allows a clearance for heavy vehicles up to about 5.5 metres.
The features of the project include:
- Direct access to the Beecroft Public School from the pedestrian bridge
- Removal of the existing pedestrian crossing on the southern side of the intersection to improve traffic efficiency and encourage pedestrians to use the bridge
- A new pedestrian fence on the eastern side of Beecroft Road to encourage the use of the pedestrian bridge and further improve pedestrian safety.
Roads and Maritime invited the community and stakeholders to provide feedback on the proposal from February to April 2015. Comments were received from 59 people and organisations. We considered the feedback and decided to continue developing the proposal.
After refinement of the concept design for the proposal, Roads and Maritime invited feedback on tree removal, bridge colour and work hours in July and August 2015. After considering the feedback we decided to proceed with the project.
We would like to thank everyone who took time to review the proposal and provide feedback.
Watch a short time-lapse of the bridge span being lifted into place on Saturday 18 June 2016.
March 2016 community update
Work continues on pedestrian bridge over Beecroft Road from Thursday 31 March 2016.
January 2016 community update
Work continues on pedestrian bridge over Beecroft Roadfrom Saturday 16 January 2016.
November 2015 community update
Start of work on pedestrian bridge over Beecroft Road from Monday 23 November 2015.
September 2015 community update
Pedestrian bridge over Beecroft Road, Beecroft.
March 2015 community update
Closing date for community feedback extended to Friday 10 April 2015.
February 2015 community update
Have your say on new pedestrian bridge on Beecroft Road, Beecroft.
November 2015 review of environmental factors report
Beecroft Pedestrian Bridge.
September 2015 community consultation report
Beecroft pedestrian bridge.
June 2015 community consultation report
Proposed pedestrian bridge on Beecroft Road, Beecroft.
For more information please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 332 660