The NSW Government is planning for a future upgrade and extension of Archbold Road between the Great Western Highway, Minchinbury and Old Wallgrove Road, Eastern Creek. Once complete, Archbold Road would be a key north-south route providing access to the Western Sydney Employment Area.
Western Sydney’s population of nearly two million people is expected to increase to more than three million over the next 20 years. The NSW Government is planning for the future and has established the Western Sydney Employment Area (WSEA) as an employment hub to support economic growth in the area. It is anticipated the WSEA will provide more than 57,000 jobs over the next 30 years, making western Sydney an even better place to live and do business.
Roads and Maritime is planning for a future upgrade and extension of Archbold Road. The existing two kilometre section of Archbold Road would be upgraded, and the road would be extended by a further three kilometres south to Old Wallgrove Road, Eastern Creek. The planned upgrade and extension of Archbold Road would support the development of the WSEA by providing a reliable, safe and efficient north-south route serving future transport needs in the region.
- Support for the expected growth of the Western Sydney Employment Area
- Improved freight connections to Sydney's motorway network and wider interstate freight network
- Reduced travel times and transport costs
- Improved road safety
- Improved public transport and bus priority
- Residential and employment growth supported by providing a reliable road network
- Safe and effective pedestrian and cycling infrastructure.
- Intersection upgrade at the Great Western Highway and Archbold Road, Minchinbury
- Existing road south of the Great Western Highway upgraded from two lanes to a four lane divided road including a new bridge over the M4 Motorway and east facing ramps
- Archbold Road extended south with a four lane divided road through Lenore Drive to meet the Old Wallgrove Road southern extension near the WaterNSW pipelines\
- New intersections along Archbold Road at Robinson Street, Sargents Road, Lenore Drive and Old Wallgrove Road
- New drainage structures along creek crossings
- New intersections for future access to employment lands
- Bus priority measures at key intersections
- A shared path for pedestrians and cyclists along the western side of the road.
Roads and Maritime first engaged with the community on the proposed Archbold Road upgrade and extension in March 2016 (PDF, 9.43Mb).
In May and June 2017, Roads and Maritime invited comments from the community and stakeholders on the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors (REF). Roads and Maritime have prepared a Submissions Report (PDF, 31.8Mb) summarising the feedback and our responses received during this period.
Following approval, project details including the design will be provided to the Department of Planning and Environment to reserve the road corridor.
The next phases of the project, detailed design and construction, are subject to funding availability. We will notify you again as the project progresses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
May 2017 frequently asked questions
Display of concept design and Review of Environmental Factors.
For more information please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 548 813
Mail: Archbold Road Upgrade, Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 973, Parramatta NSW 2124.