Interstate and overseas vessels

You can use a vessel registered in another Australian state or territory, or overseas, on NSW navigable waters. If you’re using the vessel temporarily in NSW, you don’t need to get NSW registration, as long as the vessel:

  • Is not ordinarily used on navigable waters in NSW
  • Has not been in NSW for more than three months
  • Is currently registered in another state, territory or overseas
  • Is properly numbered and carries an identification plate required by the law of its home state, territory or country.

If any of these conditions cannot be met, and the vessel is registrable under NSW law, it must carry NSW registration when on navigable waters in NSW.

If the home state, territory or overseas country does not have a vessel registration requirement, the vessel must be registered in NSW, or another state.

Share this page: