Get NSW vessel registration

Find out if your vessel needs to be registered to use navigable waters in NSW. Follow these simple steps to register your vessel for the first time.

Which boats and personal watercraft must be registered?

The following vessels must be registered to occupy NSW navigable waters:

  • power-driven vessels with an engine power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)
  • any power-driven or sailing vessel of 5.5 metres or longer
  • every vessel subject to a mooring licence (including marina berths)
  • personal watercraft (PWC)

Registration is granted on an annual basis.

Commercial vessels

Domestic commercial vessels operating under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012 do not require NSW registration.  

Domestic commercial vessels are vessels that are used in connection with a commercial, governmental or research activity. For more information contact AMSA Connect.

How to apply for initial vessel registration

You must be at least 16 years old to register a vessel in NSW. You can apply for an initial vessel registration in person at any service centre.

You'll need to provide:

Proof of vessel acquisition

You need to demonstrate your entitlement to register a vessel. To do this, you'll need a copy of a receipt, bill of sale or consignment note that includes the following details:

  • full name and signature of the seller
  • full name and address of the buyer
  • date of sale and the words 'received payment in full', or similar
  • HIN/Boatcode number (if applicable) and a full description of the vessel.

If your receipt, bill of sale or consignment note doesn't include all essential requirements, you'll need to provide another receipt or Statutory Declaration detailing this information.

Do you need third party insurance?

While there is no requirement for owners of registered vessels to have compulsory third party insurance in NSW, we recommend you take out third party insurance as part of your comprehensive vessel insurance. Contact your insurer for information.

Share this page: