Is your car roadworthy?

Email this article to a friend
Get the rundown on what the different roadworthiness inspections mean, and how to ensure you’re covered.

Making sure cars are roadworthy is a big part of the registration system. It’s also about protecting people – every vehicle must be registered to be covered by compulsory third party insurance. This insurance makes sure that everyone is covered for personal injury if someone is hurt in a crash.

Vehicle inspections

To register a vehicle, your car needs to be checked to ensure its safe to drive. Here’s how it works.

Vehicle safety check

This is a safety inspection report that proves your car is roadworthy.

All vehicles more than five years old require a safety inspection as a condition of registration renewal.

Your registration renewal notice will advise you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

To get the vehicle safety report, you need to take your vehicle to an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS).

e-Safety Check

After your vehicle has passed the vehicle safety check, a report will be electronically sent to Roads and Maritime Services electronically by the authorised safety check station.

This allows you to renew your rego online or by phone on 13 22 13.

You must visit an Authorised Inspection Station to get your e-Safety Check. Find your nearest inspection station. 

Vehicle identity and safety check (previously blue slip)

This is a safety inspection report to re-establish an expired or cancelled registration.

This proves your vehicle is roadworthy, but it also makes sure the car meets design and identity standards.

You must visit an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS) to get a blue slip. Find your nearest AUVIS by calling 1300 137 302.

Repairs required report (previously white slip): A repairs required report is an inspection report rejection slip.

It details the repairs required before a vehicle can be registered.

Once the repairs are carried out and you have the vehicle re-inspected, the vehicle will receive a pink or blue slip.


To register a car, you must have a green slip – otherwise known as compulsory third party (CTP) insurance.

Green slips ensure you’re covered if other people are injured in a crash when you (or the person driving your car) is at fault.

If your car is not registered then your green slip is not valid. This means you will be liable for any injuries caused in a crash – which could mean enormous financial problems for you.

To find out more about green slips go to the Green Slip Calculator website.

You can also opt to get more insurance, which is usually a good idea.