Notice of Disposal

Email this article to a friend
Don’t take the rap for someone else’s bad driving - lodge a Notice of Disposal when you sell your car.

If you’ve recently sold your car, chances are you’re either already out on the road enjoying your new ride, or still scouring the online car sale sites looking for the perfect one for you. Either way, your pre-loved vehicle is probably now nothing but a distant memory right? Unless that is of course you forgot to lodge a Notice of Disposal telling Roads and Maritime Services you are no longer the operator.

Why is this so important?

Imagine receiving a fine for a speeding or a parking offence that you haven’t committed?

Well that’s more likely to happen if you do not lodge a Notice of Disposal and remain the registered operator of your previous vehicle, whilst waiting for the new owner to transfer the registation into their name.

So, to help avoid paying the price for someone else’s bad driving, you should complete and submit a Notice of Disposal when you sell your car.

If you don't, enforcement agencies may send enforcement notices to either the last registered operator, or the new operator on a recorded Notice of Disposal. You would also normally have an opportunity to advise enforcement agencies that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle, usually in the form of a statutory declaration.

What is a Notice of Disposal?

A Notice of Disposal is a document you need to complete to inform Roads and Maritime that you have sold your vehicle.

When should a Notice of Disposal be completed?

A Notice of Disposal should be submitted to Roads and Maritime immediately after selling or disposing of a vehicle.

Where can I obtain a Notice of Disposal?

The Notice of Disposal slip is contained on the bottom part of your registration papers.

If you have misplaced your registration papers, you can download a Notice of Disposal (PDF, 327Kb) from the Roads and Maritime website.

Alternatively you can lodge a Notice of Disposal online.

How can I lodge a Notice of Disposal with Roads and Maritime?

You can lodge a Notice of Disposal:

What information do I need to complete a Notice of Disposal online?

To complete a Notice of Disposal online, both the seller and the buyer must have a NSW licence or Customer number. If you do not have this information, the Notice of Disposal must be submitted by mail or at a Roads and Maritime registry or service centre. Other information you will need includes:

Vehicle details

  • Registration plate number
  • Year built
  • VIN/Chassis number
  • Engine number.

Sellers details

  • Name/Organisation of seller
  • Address
  • Date of disposal
  • Licence/Customer number.

New operators details

  • Name/Organisation of buyer
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Licence/Customer number.