Traffic facilities are maintained to a level that ensures safety, optimises the free flow of traffic, satisfies community and economic needs and minimises long-term costs.
Traffic facilities and their functions include:
- Traffic signals: To regulate traffic at intersections
- Guide posts and reflectors: To provide clear delineation of the road formation on rural roads or road carriageways on urban roads or freeways
- Road markings: To provide clear delineation of the road carriageway and lanes
- Advisory / warning signs: To warn or alert motorists of road conditions
- Regulatory signs: To support the enforceability of road traffic regulations
- Information / guide signs: To provide clear information to motorists on travel destinations in day and night conditions thereby assisting in the efficient operation of the road network
- Safety barriers: To provide required structural resistance to errant vehicles to minimise accident severity.