Inspections and checks
Transport for NSW Compliance Operations Inspectors perform random and targeted, intercepts and inspections as part of on-road enforcement action, Heavy Vehicle Safety Station (HVSS) inspections, heavy vehicle registration inspections and operator investigations.
Transport for NSW Compliance Operations enforce heavy vehicle compliance with road transport laws such as mechanical roadworthiness, mass limits, dimension limits, load restraint, driver licensing, vehicle registration and driver work/rest hours.
Compliance Operations provide three main frontline services delivered by Compliance Operations Inspectors:
- Heavy vehicle inspection scheme inspections
- Inspections of heavy vehicles for roadworthiness and vehicle standards for registration renewal
- Random inspections at HVSS and on-road enforcement
- Monitoring heavy vehicle traffic for fatigue management
- Checking for valid registration and driver licences, outstanding defects, permit compliance and overloading of vehicles
- Checking to ensure relevant load restraint guidelines have been followed
- Performing detailed mechanical, steering and suspension inspections.
Top 5 Before You Drive – heavy vehicle compliance tips
In an effort to continue to educate, raise awareness and improve compliance in the heavy vehicle industry, our Heavy Vehicle Inspectors have put together a checklist for drivers of the top 5 things they should do before they start any journey. These compliance tips are a useful tool to help keep drivers on the move by making sure the heavy vehicle they're driving is compliant on the road, every time they drive.
Hard copies of these brochures are available at Heavy Vehicle Safety Stations across NSW and a printable version is also available.