Renew your registration

You need to renew your registration by its due date, otherwise your vehicle will be unregistered. There are heavy penalties for driving unregistered vehicles.

Note: General information about renewing registration is also available on the light vehicles - renew your registration page.

Three steps to renew your registration

1. Buy your Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip)

Most CTP insurers send confirmation of your payment to Transport for NSW electronically.

Need more information about CTP insurance? See Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip).

2. Have your vehicle inspected

Your renewal notice will state what type of inspection is required. See inspections for heavy vehicles for more information.

3. Renew your registration

Once you’ve bought your CTP insurance and your vehicle has passed the required inspection, you’re ready to renew your registration.

There are four ways to renew:

  • Online – the easiest way to renew your registration:
    • Pay by BPay or with your credit card using our secure transaction environment
  • Phone – pay with your credit card:
    • Interactive voice response system on 1300 360 782
    • Speak to a customer service officer on 13 22 13
  • Post – pay with a cheque or credit card authority:
    • Send your payment and registration renewal notice to
      Transport for NSW
      PO Box 21, Parkes NSW 2870
  • In person – at any registry or service centre:
    • Pay by cash, EFTPOS, credit card or cheque.

Renewing NSW registration while interstate

If you are interstate and need to renew your NSW registration, you can post your renewal to:

Service NSW
PO Box 21
Parkes NSW 2870

You will need to provide:

  • Your registration renewal notice
  • Inspection report (if required)
    Important: Transport for NSW will only accept an interstate inspection report if you are more than 50km from the NSW border. The report must be from either:
    • The registering authority in another state or territory (eg VicRoads, Queensland Transport etc), or
    • An inspection station approved by the interstate authority, or a recognised motor industry body that is a member of the Australian Automobile Association (eg RACV, RACWA, RACQ, RAA South Australia)
  • CTP green slip, or electronic notification of CTP details received by Transport for NSW from your insurer (not required for trailers) 
  • Cheque (made out to Transport for NSW) or credit card authorisation for the amount of the renewal.
Share this page: