Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA)

The best way to get your heavy vehicle licence is by completing training and competency assessment with a registered training organisation.

What is HVCBA?

The primary method to get a Heavy Vehicle Licence is to complete a Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) with an Accredited Training Provider. HVCBA provides the flexibility for you to choose your own trainer. You can also learn, and be assessed, in a vehicle of your choice, and arrange your own appointment times with your trainer.

Under HVCBA, you’ll be assessed against specific criteria that relates to the safe operation of a heavy vehicle. Assessment is conducted under a wide range of driving conditions by an assessor who has been accredited by Roads and Maritime Services. Under HVCBA, it is a requirement that training and assessment are conducted by different assessors. This means, that the assessor who delivers your training course must not be the same assessor who conducts your Final Competency Assessment.

If you pass, you can go to a Service NSW service centre to be issued with your upgraded licence.

Important: HVCBA may not be available in all areas of NSW. In these areas, you can take a heavy vehicle driving test with a Roads and Maritime or Service NSW testing officer.

Applying for HVCBA

If you choose to obtain your licence through HVCBA, you’ll need to go to a Service NSW service centre in person and:

You’ll then be issued with a Heavy Vehicle HVCBA Learner’s Log Book, and the Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment publication. The Guide outlines the tasks you need to perform to complete the training course and the assessment. Your progress is recorded in your log book – see HVCBA Learner’s Log Book for more information.

You can then select a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and arrange to attend for training.

Assessors and instructors

Under the HVCBA, you can learn to drive a heavy vehicle either:

  • Under the supervision of a person with the appropriate class of NSW driver licence, or
  • With a licensed driving instructor.

You can only be assessed however by an accredited assessor with an RTO. All accredited assessors are licensed driving instructors, so they can train and assess you at the same time.

Once all required training and assessment criteria have been successfully completed, you will need to complete a Final Competency Assessment. Under the HVCBA it is a requirement that this assessment is conducted by a different assessor. Your RTO or Assessor will organise this.

You can change assessors at any time, just as you can change driving instructors.

Information for assessors and instructors

If you are an HVCBA assessor, or are interested in becoming accredited as an assessor, please see Driving instructors - HVCBA.

HVCBA Learner's Log Book

Your HVCBA Learner’s Log Book shows your progress in building the skills required to upgrade to a heavy vehicle licence.

As you learn the required skills (called ‘criteria’), your progress is recorded in your Log Book. You must keep your Log Book until you’ve completed all the criteria and passed the Final Competency Assessment or Competency Test.

When you complete your assessment with an RTO, your assessor will keep your Log Book.

Replacement Log Books

You can apply for a replacement Log Book if:

  • Your Log Book is lost, damaged or stolen
  • You’ve changed your name

You don’t need a replacement if you change your address.

To get a replacement, you’ll need to attend a Service NSW service centre in person, and:

When you've successfully completed HVCBA

Once you’ve successfully completed all the required criteria, and passed your Final Competency Assessment or Competency Test, the assessor will submit your results to Roads and Maritime electronically. Note that your assessor will keep your Log Book.

You can then attend a Service NSW service centre in person and apply for your upgraded licence. You’ll need to:

Once you pay the required fee, your photo will be taken. Your licence card will be posted to you. You’ll receive a temporary paper licence, which you can use to drive a heavy vehicle until your new card arrives.



Related links

Share this page: