Bus Driver Authority Online Application
Are you eligible?
To be eligible you must:
- be 20 years of age
- hold an Australian driver licence that is an unrestricted licence
- have held your Australian driver licence for a total of at least 12 months in the 2 years immediately preceding the date of your application
- pass a medical examination for a commercial driver
- be of good repute and in all other respects a fit and proper person
Things to keep in mind
- Read the important information and supporting documentation that is required before commencing the application.
- Your application cannot be saved to continue at a later date.
- You must have a valid email address, if you do not have a valid email address, create one before commencing the application.
- Have your supporting documentation and photos in the correct format, saved in a folder on your desktop for easy access.
- Payment can be made at the time of submitting your application if you choose to pay by Credit/Debit card, otherwise you are able to make the payment by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), where you will be given 5 working days to make the payment.
- If making the payment by Credit/Debit card:
- you will need to enter your email address if a copy of your payment receipt is required
- if your application is submitted successfully, you will receive 2 email messages
- payment confirmation with a copy of your receipt
- PDF copy of submitted application.
- If you do not receive either of the above after 30 minutes of submitting, contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your application reference number or call 02 8848-8700.
- At the submission page, this will be your last opportunity to change any of the information you have entered.
- DO NOT click on the BACK BUTTON or close the window once you reach the confirm payment details page. If you do, all details you have entered will be lost and you will be directed back to the start of the application, requiring you to submit a new application.
What you will need
- National Police Check (NPC) (if available, scanned as a PDF).
- Visit the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commissionand click on one of the authorised providers.
- Ensure the check has been completed within 3 months of submitting your Bus Driver Authority application.
- Note: Your criminal check must include all of your current names and also any and all previous names that you have been known by.
- If the criminal check does not have a verification code it will need to be certified.
- Attaching the criminal check to your Bus Driver Authority application will reduce the processing time.
- If you are unable to arrange a National Police Check (NPC), Transport for NSW (TfNSW) will send you a one-time link to apply for your (NPC) online. This will enable TfNSW to complete the National Police Check (NPC) on your behalf.
- A certified copy of your Evidence of Training Certificate (if you have completed the Bus Authority Training course scanned as a PDF)
- You have 6 months from the date you submit your application to complete training and provide the training certificate.
For information about Bus Driver Authority training courses please contact:
- Bus NSW on (02) 8839 9500 or
- Into Training Australia on (02) 8859 0728 or email BDA@intotraining.com.au
- Intertrain on 1300 222 776 or email email@example.com
- JKR Training for Business on 0418 442 531 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Driver Training NSW on 0402 081 086 or email email@example.com
Who can certify your documents?
- An accountant (member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent).
- A person listed on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner.
- A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney.
- A police officer.
- A postal manager.
- A principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school.
- A medical practitioner.
- A Justice of the Peace (with a registration number in the State in which they are registered).
- A minister of religion (registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961).
The certified copy must include the statement "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document". The certifier must also include their full name, signature, date, registration number (if any) and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible to certify documents, on each of the photocopied identification documents.
- Completed Medical Assessment form for Public Passenger Vehicle Driver (scanned as a PDF).
- Ask the medical practitioner to complete the Medical Assessment Form - Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Form
If you have any health conditions you may also need to complete a Medical Specialist Assessment Report form.
For more information please contact Licence Review Unit:
Phone: 13 77 88
- If you don’t hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to upload a digital photo.
Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses.
The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels.
Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF
- Get a record of your past 5 years driving history if you have held a driver licence from another state or territory within the last 5 years.(scanned as a PDF)
Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions for information on how to obtain this record.
- Copy of your current Australian Driver Licence (scanned as a PDF).
- Provide a photocopy of a Proof of identity document from Proving your identity - List 2 if you hold an interstate driver licence.
- A non-refundable application fee of $70 to be paid by:
- Credit/Debit card – MasterCard or Visa only
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- If payment is made by EFT you will be given 5 working days to make the payment. If your payment is not received within this period, your application will not proceed and you will be required to lodge a new application including all supporting documentation.
- A valid email address, e.g. a GMAIL or HOTMAIL email account.
Mutual recognition of drivers
Do you hold a current interstate or New Zealand Bus Driver Authority?
You may be eligible to apply for a Bus Driver Authority under Mutual Recognition.
You will need to complete a Mutual Recognition Statutory Declaration and submit it with your Bus Driver Authority application.
To apply for mutual recognition of your interstate or New Zealand Bus Driver Authority in NSW, you must meet the following requirements.
- Hold a current driver licence issued in Australia.
- Hold a current bus driver authority issued in either Australia or New Zealand.
If you hold a New Zealand bus driver authority you will also need to provide a
- Certificate of Particulars
- Traffic Offence History
- Letter from the Ministry of Justice
If your application for mutual recognition is approved you will not need to complete the Bus Driver Authority training course.
Both your Bus Driver Authority and mutual recognition application are only valid for six months from the date of lodgement.
For information about where to obtain a record of your driving history go to Frequently Asked Questions.
How to submit your application
- Refer to this Help Guide while navigating the online form to ensure you have all relevant documents ready
- Click on the link below to complete the online application form (attaching ALL supporting documentation and digital photo).
- Answer pre-screening questions
- Answer all questions that apply to you
- Click on the ADD+ button to enter more information
- Upload your supporting documentation (PDF) and photos (JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF)
- Pay the non-refundable application fee by MasterCard or Visa only, payment is required at time of submitting your application.
- If payment is made by EFT, your payment must be made within 5 working days from the date you submit your application.
Frequently asked questions
No. You cannot start and go back to finish your application on another day.
- You need to have a valid email address to submit an online application.
- You must provide all your supporting documents.
You will not be able to submit an application online without attaching all mandatory documents.
You should not submit your application at this time as it will delay the processing of your application. Your application will not be assessed without all of the supporting documentation.
If your supporting documentation is not in the correct format you should not submit your application as this will increase processing times.
If you do not hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to provide a digital photo for your Bus Driver Authority card.
A digital photograph can be obtained from any Australia Post or camera retailer that provides this service.
- Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses
- The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels.
- Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF
- Selfies or photographs that have been cropped will not meet the requirements above.
- You will not be able to submit an application online if you do not provide a photograph that meets these requirements.
You should receive your Bus Driver Authority within 10 working days, provided your application meets all mandatory requirements. Where RMS apply for a National Criminal History check on your behalf this will delay the processing of your application.
This is a requirement of your application. You can create an account online (e.g. - Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook or Yahoo).
No it does not matter how you enter the information.
No. If you are unsure of the exact date you can apply for a copy of your traffic record and licence details at any Service NSW Service Centre or you can apply online. The information will be contained on the licence details provided.
You can apply for a copy of your traffic record and licence details at any Service NSW Service Centre or you can apply online. This will be a complete history of your traffic record and driver licence details.
A copy of your payment receipt will be emailed immediately after your payment has been processed successfully.
You will receive a copy of your payment receipt with your Bus Driver Authority card. If your application is refused, you will receive a copy of your receipt with the refusal letter.
After submitting valid Credit / Debit card details, if your Credit / Debit Card is declined for any reason (e.g insufficient funds), you will be given an opportunity to pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
No. When making payment for your application you will only be able to use 1 Credit / Debit card to make the payment.
When paying for your Bus Driver online application by EFT there will be a period of time where the funds are required to clear through your bank. RMS is unable to process your application until the bank clears your funds. If paying your application by Credit/Debit Card, these funds are immediately available to RMS, enabling your application to be assessed without any delay.
You will immediately receive a notification to submit the payment by EFT after the failed attempt by Credit / Debit Card. If you do not make payment within the five (5) working days, your application will not proceed and you will be required to lodge a new application, including all supporting documentation.
This is the number that will be displayed on the payment message page and or in the payment confirmation email body.
You will need to contact the relevant state or territory government office:
- Victoria Vic Roads
- South Australia SA.GOV.AU
- Queensland Queensland Government
- Western Australia Western Australia Police Force
- Tasmania Department of State Growth - Transport
- ACT Access Canberra
- Northern Territory NT.GOV.AU
If you are from New Zealand and are applying for Mutual Recognition you can obtain your record from:
- New Zealand NZ Transport Agency