Free buses link flood-affected Lismore and Ballina locals with essential services
Wednesday, 9 March 2022
Flood-affected residents in Lismore and Ballina who need to access essential services are being supported with free bus services, which begin operating from today.
Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Sam Farraway said the NSW Government has chartered buses to allow residents who have lost everything, including their own transport, to access nearby support facilities.
“We know locals need to move around their neighbourhoods to access support and begin to get back on their feet, Mr Farraway said.
“So, Transport for NSW is partnering with Resilience NSW, Lismore City Council and Ballina Shire Council to help residents access the support they so desperately need,” Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience Steph Cooke said the free bus
services would enable locals to access Resilience NSW-run Recovery Centres.
“These one-stop shops provide a range of support to individuals, families, farmers and business owners, including access to clean-up services, financial assistance, insurance and legal support, business support and mental health services,” Ms Cooke
Transport for NSW will begin operating these services at 9am on Wednesday and will increase their frequency if demand requires.
In Lismore, buses will initially run every hour, linking:
- Goonellabah Sports & Aquatic Centre (GSAC);
- Southern Cross University (Evacuation Centre);
- Southern Cross Uni Recovery Centre (V Block);
- Koori Mail (Molesworth Street);
- Dawson Street (opposite the park); and
- Showgrounds (Donated Goods Hub) – beginning Thursday.
In Ballina, buses will initially run every two hours linking the following locations with the Recovery Centre:
- North – Lake Ainsworth Sport & Recreation Centre, Lennox Head Community Centre;
- West – Alstonville Community Centre, Ballina Indoor Sports Centre; and
- South – Wardell Pub, Westower Tavern (Kalinga Street).
Flood-affected locals can also access support remotely through the Service NSW website or via phone call with a Customer Care specialist on 13 77 88.