More cash to build better bridges in the bush

14 October 2021

Hundreds more timber bridges will be replaced across regional NSW, with applications now open for the next round of the NSW Government’s $500 million Fixing Country Bridges program.

Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said the Government had already invested $282 million to replace more than 400 timber bridges across 53 Local Government Areas in round one.

“This program has been an absolute game changer for councils right across the State, allowing them to replace some of their oldest and mostly costly to maintain timber bridges with safer, stronger structures that are more resilient to natural disaster and better equipped to meet the needs of the community,” Mr Toole said.

“Right across the State, we’re hearing the success stories of this program – from bridges that will now be able to support their RFS trucks in the event of a bushfire, to a new structure that will eliminate a detour of more than 260 kilometres for heavy vehicles moving to nearby farms.

“Replacing these bridges will help drive economic growth, create jobs and build stronger connections in our bush communities for generations to come.”

Mr Toole said the unprecedented funding commitment to replace the State’s worst timber bridges was on top of the $500 million being invested by the NSW Government through Fixing Local Roads to help regional councils repair, maintain and seal priority roads in their communities.

“Together, this $1 billion investment will ensure we build a safer, modern and more resilient road and bridge network for years to come in NSW.”

Round 2 is now open for applications. Councils can apply for funding to replace ageing timber bridges in their local areas. Applications close at 5 pm on Wednesday 10 November 2021.

For more information on Fixing Country Bridges visit nswroads.work/fixingcountrybridges.

Share this page: